[SOLVED] ASUS GeForce Strix GTX 1660 6GB GPU stressing the CPU or bottlenecking i7 2600?

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
Hi, guys,

I have moved on to laptops and have not had a desktop assembly for a decade. Recently I have acquired a GTX 1660 Strix 3 fans model. Post installation I am noticing a CPU temperature hike in Open Hardware Monitor. Before the card installation, at idle the temperature was 38-42 and not it is constantly at 44-46. I did a stress test and system not cross 75 degree Celsius. So the cooler is keeping it under control. I did pay RDR2 for some time (I am not a gamer) and I don’t think I have noticed any frame drops.
My question is, is this new GPU stressing the CPU or bottlenecking?

Specs:
I7 2600 Non K
Intel DH64CL MB
24GB DDR3 ram 8*3
Antec 550W PSU (I am planning to change that to Cooler Master)
Silverstone CPU cooler AR12 RGB
GIGABYTE C200 Glass ATX Gaming Case
Two extra cabinet fans
ASUS GeForce Strix GTX 1660 6GB

Previous card was a 1050TI. I don’t see any change in performance but heat hike is bothering me even though it is at a small margin. I don’t want to screw up this old system, I have no plans for desktop upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
What's happening here is that the newly installed GPU exhausts its heatsink air into the case...right around the area where the CPU cooler sits. Therefore, the GPU is "pre-heating" the air that's being sucked into the CPU cooler. It's an extra 120W of waste heat (under load) that is being dumped into the case.

I assume your extra 2 fans are installed in the front panel as intake. However, look at how little open venting is along the sides of the front panel.
What's happening here is that the newly installed GPU exhausts its heatsink air into the case...right around the area where the CPU cooler sits. Therefore, the GPU is "pre-heating" the air that's being sucked into the CPU cooler. It's an extra 120W of waste heat (under load) that is being dumped into the case.

I assume your extra 2 fans are installed in the front panel as intake. However, look at how little open venting is along the sides of the front panel.

Reactions: aoc00 and DRagor
Solution