Asus GL502VM Liquid Metal Repaste Help

rannon

Honorable
May 24, 2014
Hey Guys,

My laptop cpu/gpu combo are as follows

i7-7700hq
gtx 1060 6gb

i live in Sri lanka and on a warm day ( 32c with 84% humidity feels like 38c ) , my cpu levels off at 88c with peaks to 90c and my gpu levels off at 80c with peaks to 82c.

the thermal paste i am using right now is Arctic Silver 5 and its a notable improvement over the factory paste.

when i first got my laptop, my cpu temps where right around 98c although i didnt notice performance drops and my gpu held steady at 88c.

ive ordered thermal grizzly conductonaut and im planning to repaste it once again to help decrease temps.

now i just have this troubling theory about heatsoak in general and if my laptop is a victim to it. as in, after upgrading to arctic silver 5, my vents push out blazing hot air. i cant keep my hand in front of the exhaust for long as i feel its pretty dang hot, now i know this also means that there is a good amount of heat transfer already going on and if my laptops cooling ability is limited to the design of the cooler then even liquid metal wont help... but then there are the stories of many people using gaming laptops getting much better temps especially on their cpu ( which frankly is my biggest concern ) so maybe i have cooling headroom to gain from liquid metal.

i just want to have a general discussion with you guys about the pros and cons after considering the fact that this is already a warmer than normal climate for a laptop so the temperature delta between the heatsink and it is less which also leads me to the same dilemma as less heat can be absorbed into the atmosphere because of the smaller temp delta.

other people with this laptop in a room of 20c, get mid 70s for both the cpu and gpu

but if my climate is 12c higher than that, can i safely assume that my gaming temps would be around 10c - 12c higher as well? cpu low to mid 80c and gpu high 70s or even 80c....

let me know what you lot think, i appreciate any amount of thinking that goes into your response as i try to make sense of all this.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, everything else being equal, the temperature delta between component temp and ambient temp should be about the same. So if your ambient is 12C higher, your component temps will be 12C higher.

rannon

Honorable
May 24, 2014
So my current temps or only marginally higher than my intended goal. Is it worth repastng in that case ? Maybe I should look into case modifications to help dissipate heat ( such as direct grilled mesh fan intake right under the blower intake )as I don't think the thermal paste is my bottleneck/limiting factor in this climate... ?