ASUS GL551 vs. Acer v17 Nitro BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiegoBoricua

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
I am stuck between these 2 laptops: The ASUS GL551 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232222) and the Acer v17 Nitro Black Edition (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314704).
Both of these laptops have the same basic features: i7-4710HQ, gtx 860m, 16GB RAM. However, the ASUS ($979) is only a 15" w/ no HDD but has and ssd while the Acer ($999.99) is 17", which I like, has a 1TB HDD, but has no ssd. Another plus on the Acer is that it has an IPS display and it has better sound quality.

What are your opinions on what I should get? Is the ssd worth the loss of a 17.3" IPS display and better sound system? Thank you in advance.

I would say both laptops are good but it depends on how much storage you need as ssds are more expensive than hdd. Also ips screens aren't as good as tn panels as they generally have a lower refresh rate which is important for games. I personally would go with the asus as they generally make good laptops and acers are known to overheat but I could be wrong.

Acer laptops don't overheat as much as you'd expect - my portable one has a GT840m and i5 4210 in and has not gotten over 80C at full load yet. Tn panels aren't great for colour reproduction in comparison to IPS but both can manage 60fps so IMO it;s not too much of a big deal. You can also buy a caddy to replace your DVD drive with a hard drive if you want to expand the storage in the future - take a look at this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008V66RDY

What settings did you use when you were playing games and what games did you play on it?

I am very curios as I have a gt 650m which is 2 generations behind yours.

Give me a game and I'll benchmark it :)

OK, saint row 2. I say this game as it made my laptop temps the highest I have ever seen.

I'm afraid I don't own this game D:

OK far cry 3.

I can get it to high with HDAO and 4x Anti Aliasing at about 55-60 fps (with Vsync enabled :))

wunderbread

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015

Thank you guys for your help! I went with the Acer and I hope that it does me well for years to come.[/quotemsg]

How do you like it so far? I'm considering the Acer aspire v15 nitro and the Asus rg gl551jw-ds71..I'll be video editing via adobe premiere pro and music recording and editing via Reaper. I'm told I want the highest CPU, ram and GPU I can get..the Acer has the same ram, but comes with an ssd and it is smaller than the Asus but I've heard Asus are better and tech support is better..and the Asus is 1000$ and the Acer is 1300$. I'm no techy I know little about it. But i just want something good for the money I'm spending. I could go with the sad version of the Asus but I've been thinking of the cheaper version and adding a WD black dual drive "hybrid" I have an external 1TB and storage really isn't an issue for me. Do I need 1TB PLUS an SSD or will just SSD be better and make the computer load things a lot faster? I'll be happy with either as I'm coming from a 2006 MBP but like I said I'd like to get the best I can.I read a review comparing these 2 and the msi ge60 apache and the Asus came out on top and the Acer on bottom. So idk. Does the sad really make that much of a difference? Should I go with the more expensive sad Asus version or if I go that route is the Acer a better deal with 256gb ssd???

DiegoBoricua

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
I hope I'm not too late, but the Acer has performed phenomenally. It's consistently booted up in 4, 5 seconds tops. Everything loads up very quickly too. Everything would boot up even quicker with an ssd drive. For what you said you''ll be doing, it requires a lot of memory space so get a computer with as much memory stock as possible, and even have or plan to get a beefy external hard drive regardless. I couldn't give you any feedback on service from Acer since I haven't come across any issues thus far. I can easily run Photoshop and play multiple games at very playable frames (such as The Forest, Space/Medieval Engineers, Garry's Mod, Beamng.Drive, yes it can actually handle it, and I can even run Minecraft at around 300 fps).

1shado1

Distinguished

Did you end up with the 15.6" Nitro, or the 17.3" Nitro? The link in your original post is for the 15.6" version.

Nice laptops!

Status
Not open for further replies.