Question Asus GM501 Dead Fan Control?

Jan 16, 2020
Hello guys,

I have a bit of an issue with my Asus GM501... the CPU fan stopped working suddenly so I ordered a new one, got it installed now and it is now working, however it seems that any sort of fan control died with the first fan.

Both fans are continuously ramping up to what I assume is 100% fan speed, and then slowly cycling down to near silent, repeating endlessly. The fan speed in BIOS reads 0 rpm even while it's cycling like it is.

I tried reinstalling windows, resetting and updating BIOS, but no difference.

My guess is that something on the laptops motherboard died with the fan, preventing any fan control. Could that be it? Or could there be something else? Anything I can do?

Thank you in advance

Are you sure you connected all correctly and installed the correct fan for this laptop?

Is your BIOS up to date?

Are you sure the other fan is dead? Maybe it shouldn´t rotate if not needed?

Looks like the speed signal of the fan is not getting to the BIOS.

Jan 16, 2020
Yes it is connected properly as far as I can tell, the tiny plug for the fan only goes in one way. The new fan has the same serial number as the old one, it seems to be a perfect fit.

I updated the BIOS to the latest released version (version 314)

The other fan was absolutely dead, had been tinkering with it for a while before I decided I had to order a new one. It is true that the fans didn't always spin if the temperature is low enough, but it would never start spinning, even with CPU temps reaching 90+ degrees :/