Question ASUS GR6 - BSOD on cold boot WIN10 (NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE - hal.dll)

4r8en

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
Hello Guys,

Im having a problem with my GR6, as it crashes constantly with NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE.
It does crash only on first run (cold boot) after a peroid of being shut off and after it automatically restarts its OK. The crash appears few minutes or seconds from start.

Specs:
OS Win 10 x64
CPU i5 5200U
GPU GTX 960M 2GB and Intel HD 5500
RAM 8GB 2x Samsung M471B5173EB0-YK0 4GB
SSD 128GB Kingston + HDD 1TB Seagate ST1000LM035

I tested my system with:
  • Intel Burn Test (35 passes with max memory mode)
  • Prime95 (18h+ smallFFTs and 24h+blend)
  • Furmark (1h for integrated GPU + 1h for GTX 960m)
  • Memtest86+
  • Tested both SSD and HDD with HDD Scan
Temps are okay (CPU max 77C and GPU max 80C), the fan was cleaned and I replaced the thermal paste (Revoltec Diamond).

Ive attached report of BSOD generated by BlueScreenView.
95c507a48dcc15f96b7a6aa7f8eb1b51-full.jpg

What I already did (and didnt help):
  • WIndows 10 factory reset
  • unistalled all ASUS software (AI Suite, Sonic Stage, GPU Tweak) + cleaned register and deleted all residual ASUS Software files
  • uninstalled Realtek HD (6.0.1.7525) and Wireless Drivers (1.00.0269)
  • pulled out HDD
  • booted with 1 memory stick (in 4 possible configurations, stick nr 1 in slot 1, then in slot 2, then stick nr 2 in slot 1, then in slot 2)

Thank You for help.

The Non-Maskable Interrupt failure usually tracks back to a hardware failure, or driver corruption or conflicts. Needless to say, this could also be traceable to the area on the hard drive where certain system files (namely the drivers) are stored.

Possibly this article will provide new insight for you?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-nmi_hardware_failure-bsod-on-windows-10

Last edited:

4r8en

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
The Non-Maskable Interrupt failure usually tracks back to a hardware failure, or driver corruption or conflicts. Needless to say, this couls also be traceable to the area on the hard drive where certain system files (namely the drivers) are stored.

Possibly this article will provide new insight for you?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-nmi_hardware_failure-bsod-on-windows-10
Thank you. Unfortunately I still cannot trace the problem. Is there any way to pinpoint the exact driver which causes problem from the bsod report?

4r8en

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
I actually didn't suggest that it's the SSD. I only asked if you are booting from it.

My jury is still out on this, despite the fact that Kingston sells some seriously substandard SSDs.
So the SSD is okay. I have tested the PC with HDD and there is the same problem. What is more the problem shows even before installing any drivers, on freshly installed Windows, after installing Updates on cold boot.

So probably the problem is with RAM sticks. I have tested them with memtest86+ bootable usb, after the PC was sitting for a while (cold boot), but there aren't any errors.

So for now my question is what's the best program to test the RAM sticks?