Asus Graphics Card Warranty - very confused

Nov 13, 2018
Hi, I live in the middle-east, and is looking to buy the Asus Stix RTX 2080. I just spoke to a retailer there, and expressed to him my concerns about RTX issues. I asked him what does the warranty cover, he said any architecture error is covered. I asked him what about the artifacts that seemed to appear through some RTX cards; he said they are NOT covered by Asus Warranty.

My reaction was what you would expect: What the actual fuck? Am I going to pay what's equivalent to $1100 (they're more expensive here) for a graphics card, only to find that the card is defective, then I'm out of luck?! I get it, the artifacts can sometimes be a software issue, but I'm not sure if that's always the case.

I'm doubting that what he told me is true, or that he might misunderstood what I meant. Is anyone aware what Asus Warranty ACTUALLY cover? (I did read the formal clarification, but it didn't answer my question). Thanks a lot in advance.

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
What they say is not always what it seems (well not by first judgement anyways).

If it's genuinely artefacts that appear due to a hardware error - you'd know and they would have to test it to check as well.

I don't see why this wouldn't be covered as it's a DEFECT, if it is a software issue, then you'd surely just change the software.

So long as it's a hardware issue then I don't see where they could fault you for it.

I've done some research and a few people have suffered a great deal of crashing with the RTX.

Updating the firmware from NVIDIA seems to have helped very few.

I would go through with an RMA process if spending X amount on such a card.

Nov 13, 2018

Hey Asad, thanks for the answer. Problem is he didn't specify that "if it is hardware related, it will be deemed as Warranty-covered". He just made a seemingly absolute statement that if it is artifacts, then it is not covered, and that's it. This is what bothers and concerns me.

As for the RMA process: sure, but how am I going to do that if I bought it from a retailer, and not directly from Asus?

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013

In my eyes, I see it as a respectable situation in the CONSUMER'S favour.
In the end, you should be able to contact the manufacturer as a last resort to send back your component due to a DEFECT in the hardware.
You can speak to the retailer, but all they'd do is liaise with the company which may take LONGER.

Contact the manufacturer, explain what the issue is, where you purchased it from, easier to go from there.

You didn't build the part, so I don't see why it shouldn't be covered by warranty as you've purchased it to simply WORK without the artefacts up on the screen.

If you do want to RMA, you have to remember that if you overclock past the standard manufacturers overclock (or OC when it's not), or open up the hardware, then that's where it's a no go.

Nov 13, 2018

Appreciate the info. Though I would just like to know if this is the case for certain, that I can speak to Asus in some way for assistance, and that they will actually agree to look into issues (instead of telling me to contact the retailer)? Because honestly, it is so easy to get screwed over with purchases in this country, with little to no support afterward. I really don't want this to go wrong. I won't have another shot on a graphics card if this fails, for the next few years.