Review Asus GT-AC5300 Review: Solid, but Showing Its Age

If we forget 8 LAN ports (maybe important to some), it's just another router (again) on market. It's seems manufacturers keep continuing on milking old 1Gb tech.
Meanwhile we can buy affordable 2.5Gb motherboards, 2.5Gb NAS-es (still kinda pricey, though), 2.5Gb expansion cards... but no 2.5Gb consumer router. Ok, actually there is 2.5Gb router, but guess what: it only has one 2.5Gb LAN port. I mean, what's the point?
Saying that, unless someone really needs more that 4 LAN ports, I really see no reason why would someone pay such high price for this router -because of outdated "transformers" design?

w_o_t_q

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
Just bought RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in half the price nice full compact metal case factory option to mount on wall extra 10 bucks and one 10Gb port (10 gb ports plus POE functionality(daisy chaining if wanted to use in future). Asus is overpriced hardware, see no reason to buy this because this is professional equipment pricing level which is in term of hardware ASUS did not reach

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
i was looking at this one as well as the RT-AX88U, and i went with the rx88u because you can link aggregate 2 ports ( which my NAS is conencted to ) and wifi 6 been quite happy with it since. never heard of mikrotik.

Mar 2, 2021
It would be great to know deeply how good is in terms of security, but I guess I would have to buy to know that. And I think I wouldn't buy it, actually. However, it seems fine and the design is... is.

w_o_t_q

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
if interested in security Mikrotik, Ubiquiti and the other enterprise level hardware, forget about Asus, TP and other consumer products.