ASUS GTX 1060 6GB reaching very high temperatures, stuttering and artifacting out of nowhere.

Feb 3, 2019
Hello everyone.

I've had this GPU for less than 2 years now and everything has gone smoothly with it, until a few days ago.

I was playing COD WW2, and I kept getting CTDs with "Fatal Error"-messageboxes with the error code "DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG". I just thought it was the game acting up after long gaming sessions, so I didn't really care at the time. But these crashes never went away instead I kept experiencing in-game artifacting, and they got more and more frequent, and I started experiencing some serious stuttering in game, and it became very much unplayable. It dropped from a stable 85FPS to a shaky 60-82FPS.

I also started to notice how loud my PC suddenly had gotten. Turns out the GPU fans were working at 100%, and my GPU temp was 82c (with the fans on at 100%). The idle temp was also way above what it used to be. Before it was a consistent 32-35c, now it's idling 54c. Something is clearly wrong.

What could be the issue? I have never overclocked my components or anything, everything is running at default. Airflow is great, my chassi is a Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition (3 140mm fans, 2 in the front and 1 in the back) and I have of course tried to remove the window panel to see if there was a potential airflow issue, but it changed nothing.

Worth to notice is that it's only the GPU getting warm. MOBO and CPU are all at their usual 30c temp idle.

Thank you for any assistance.

EDIT: My specs!

CPU: i7-8700K
RAM: LPX Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB/WD HDD Blue Desktop HDD 1TB
GPU: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB GAMING
PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 1200W
Chassi: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition

Lutfij

Titan
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is your PSU? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers for your GPU after downloading them from Nvidia's support site?

Feb 3, 2019

It's actually quite brand new. My last one burnt out after a restart. I will try your driver solution and come back!