Asus GTX 1070 8GB Dual v.s. Asus GTX 980Ti 6GB STRIX

Zynchro

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
The thing is, my PC was at a service-check. I've had it for almost 2 years now.
My old GPU (GTX 980Ti 6GB STRIX) was apparently defective, and was switched to the newer GTX 1070 8GB Dual. I was happy and all, but when I got home and ran a few benchmarks, I really saw an FPS decrease.
Right before I left the service check I told him that I had done some research, and I found out my old GPU would perform much better than the new one. He guaranteed that it wasn't the case, and if any problems occurred, I would be able to return to him.
Who's right, me (the internet) or him. What's the better one of the GPU's?

Solution
The 1070 and 980ti perform pretty similar, within a few percent of each-other. The 1070 is much more efficient however and has a few more features so even if it was a little slower, I would always recommend the 1070. If you are getting poor performance ensure your drivers are all properly installed and in the 3d settings of Nvidia control panel set power management mode to prefer maximum performance.

Ethanh100

Honorable
The 1070 and 980ti perform pretty similar, within a few percent of each-other. The 1070 is much more efficient however and has a few more features so even if it was a little slower, I would always recommend the 1070. If you are getting poor performance ensure your drivers are all properly installed and in the 3d settings of Nvidia control panel set power management mode to prefer maximum performance.

Solution

+1 to this, uninstall and reinstall drivers. Although it is literally the driver this is recommended (I had bsod at boot when swapping from 580 to 970)