[SOLVED] ASUS GTX 1080 90°C+ under load

May 14, 2021
I recently upgraded my system to an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and i just started to notice my systems temperatures. For years my system has made a lot of fan noise, but I haven't really looked into it. When I switched the processor, I realized that one of the fans on my 1080 wasn't spinning. It was one of the GPU-cables jamming the fan. I fixed it and the system got quiet again, but the temperatures were still high. I switched the chassis-fans around and got it a little bit cooler. Now the 1080 is idling at 52°C and when I open a GPU-demanding game it ramps up to 91°C+ and stays there. Could the GPU-cable have broken the thing? Or could it be past me messing around with OC? I know it shouldn't exceed 85°C and these temperatures are dangerous.

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Glass Silent
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Cooler: NZXT Kraken M22 (radiator front, stock fan)
MoBo: ASUS X570-E
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 ROG Strix
Fans: Corsair LL140 RGB 140mm (2x top, 1x front, 1x rear)

Solution
The idle temperature isn't unusual for an air cooled card.
The load result though... What likely happened:
-the cooler wasn't mounted back to the PCB correctly; the gpu die isn't making full contact with the heatsink.
-hotspot(s) on the gpu die from incorrect paste application, or using a watery paste.

We should also make sure your fans are facing the right directions. For reference:
iu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-the cooler wasn't mounted back to the PCB correctly; the gpu die isn't making full contact with the heatsink.
-hotspot(s) on the gpu die from incorrect paste application, or using a watery paste.

We should also make sure your fans are facing the right directions. For reference:
iu

iu

Solution
May 14, 2021

iu

iu

Thank you for confirming what I thought was the problem!

I ended up replacing the GPU thermal paste (it was solid concrete) with some Noctua NT-H1 and now it's idling at high 30's and mid 70's under load.

The chassis-fans were also mounted correctly ;)

Reactions: Phaaze88