Question ASUS GTX 1080TI TURBO 12GB - Boot failure (not consistently)

chriseg

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Hi all,

Recently purchased an Asus GTX 1080ti Turbo card, and pretty soon after started noticing my pc would fail to boot, One continuous beep followed by three short beeps (as per Asus website, this means no VGA detected). Now the issue isn't persistent, meaning that maybe 7/10 times i boot the pc, it works like normal. However after a few weeks now, when it does fail, the pc boots (single beep), then shortly after the 4 beeps sound (monitors never turn on during this wait either automatically as they do on successful boot)

Trouble shooting included:-
  • changed monitors
  • checked ram, booted with one or the other, no difference.
  • removing/cleaning/re-installing graphics card & drivers
  • installed a Radeon card i had lying around, booted like normal and continued working for an entire week whilst testing.
  • update bios/graphics card/mobo drivers

Contacted Asus about it, told me to refer to local dealer. The dealer checked it and said it was a heating issue, they re-applied thermal paste etc, card worked for a week then back to the random boot failures once again... Now they say its my PC, but yet the problem is not consistent, and as per my trouble shooting, the Radeon card (and my previous GTX 550 Ti before upgrade) never showed such issues.. So I am against their argument its my local PC as such and not the card?

As i write this, my graphics card is 40 Degrees Celsius (just after booting), during heavy gaming it might hit 80 but no issues ever once post.

My Specs:-
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core Processor
  • Asus Prime B350M-E Mobo
  • BIOS version 4602 - Dated 3/7/2019
  • Teamgroup 16 GB DDR4 Dual channel Ram (1067 Mhz)

If anyone has ideas or ways i may be able to monitor these boot failures for more information, I would be really grateful!

chriseg

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Purchased from who/where?
Exact make and model of the power supply? [If you don't know, open up the PC and find the info printed on a label which will be on one the unit's sides.
My PSU was purchased in mid 2015 from Overclockers.co.uk - Antec High Current Gamer M 620W "80+ Bronze" Modular Power Supply (CA-180-AN)

Can this be the potential suspect?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 1080Ti came from the same store? New? Preowned?

I don't believe the problem lies with your either.
You setup works just fine with either of your old cards in. How did you remove the old graphics drivers? Did you use DDU?
Are you using 2 separate cables to connect the card to the psu?

chriseg

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
The 1080Ti came from the same store? New? Preowned?

I don't believe the problem lies with your either.
You setup works just fine with either of your old cards in. How did you remove the old graphics drivers? Did you use DDU?
Are you using 2 separate cables to connect the card to the psu?
The GFX card came from another store, a local IT one. They were the ones that looked into the issue initially and thought it could have been perhaps a heating issue, they are the ones that want me to take it in for a better look but trying to avoid if its something I can fix (with help)

The old graphics card drivers... my previous card was nvidia also, 970 Ti, so tbh I just inserted the 1080 in and continued as normal. Never thought of cleaning the old and starting new

The Radeon driver when installed for the week period of testing, I just uninstalled the app from the control panel

Confirm it is 2 seperate cables, both are 8pin, one of them has the 2pin that is possible to unclick making it into a 6 as the card requires 6 & 8 pin

Had not heard of DDU before, just looked into it and downloading it - shall i use this tool to remove everything and reinstall the card like new?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The GFX card came from another store, a local IT one. They were the ones that looked into the issue initially and thought it could have been perhaps a heating issue, they are the ones that want me to take it in for a better look but trying to avoid if its something I can fix (with help)

The old graphics card drivers... my previous card was nvidia also, 970 Ti, so tbh I just inserted the 1080 in and continued as normal. Never thought of cleaning the old and starting new

The Radeon driver when installed for the week period of testing, I just uninstalled the app from the control panel

Confirm it is 2 seperate cables, both are 8pin, one of them has the 2pin that is possible to unclick making it into a 6 as the card requires 6 & 8 pin

Had not heard of DDU before, just looked into it and downloading it - shall i use this tool to remove everything and reinstall the card like new?
Yes, please do. It won't hurt to try.
Install the latest driver for the 1080Ti - but don't install the package yet.
Download DDU, then disconnect your internet - it stops windows from installing a default driver.
Run DDU(requires safe mode). Once it's done, install the gpu driver, and then you can reconnect your internet.

Now that I know you bought the card locally, I'm now concerned whether this card is actually brand new, having been sitting on their shelves all this time, or a preowned card.
Just to be safe, download Gpu-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and confirm if it's a real 1080Ti or not.

chriseg

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Download DDU, then disconnect your internet - it stops windows from installing a default driver.
Run DDU(requires safe mode). Once it's done, install the gpu driver, and then you can reconnect your internet.

Now that I know you bought the card locally, I'm now concerned whether this card is actually brand new, having been sitting on their shelves all this time, or a preowned card.
Just to be safe, download Gpu-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and confirm if it's a real 1080Ti or not.
Thanks Phaaze, really appreciate the assistance on this - i'll jump onto this asap and hopefully have an update by tomorrow.

Have Gpu-Z downloaded, and verified everything https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/93upp

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My PSU was purchased in mid 2015 from Overclockers.co.uk - Antec High Current Gamer M 620W "80+ Bronze" Modular Power Supply (CA-180-AN)

Can this be the potential suspect?

I say continue with the other testing, but, to answer this particular question: maybe.

From a brief search, it's actually built by Seasonic. The 620W number (or any some-value-ending-in-20 rather than ending in 50) makes me wonder if it's one of the older S12II or S12III designs. The S12II was considered "good for back in its day" and still reasonably capable, but maybe not the best to handle the way modern systems use power. I'm told the S12III designs are . . not that good.

If you have another good power supply you can try, or can borrow one, assuming your other investigations come up with nothing, then I'd give that a shot and see if it resolves the problem.

I'll admit I'm sort of throwing darts blindfolded, though.

chriseg

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
I say continue with the other testing, but, to answer this particular question: maybe.

From a brief search, it's actually built by Seasonic. The 620W number (or any some-value-ending-in-20 rather than ending in 50) makes me wonder if it's one of the older S12II or S12III designs. The S12II was considered "good for back in its day" and still reasonably capable, but maybe not the best to handle the way modern systems use power. I'm told the S12III designs are . . not that good.

If you have another good power supply you can try, or can borrow one, assuming your other investigations come up with nothing, then I'd give that a shot and see if it resolves the problem.

I'll admit I'm sort of throwing darts blindfolded, though.
Hey King, thanks for your information - It is another suspect, which I was considering. I did have the psu tested for voltages etc and all came out OK - but if this DDU trick doesnt fix it, I may move onto getting a test psu, do you recommend any for my system?

chriseg

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Ok,

So i've run the DDU, all OK, reinstalled etc as per your comments with internet off.

So far 24hrs in, no issues booting - going to give it a week before I can get excited about it ... but hopefully, hopefully its sorted out.

Thanks for all your kind assistance, will get back to you!

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well it may be a moot point now, but with regard to getting a test PSU, I couldn't really say. I mean, I use a leftover OEM Dell PSU to do very basic testing, but that obviously rules out stress testing.

The irony is that the ideal test PSU is one that would make the ideal high-quality, use it forever in your PC PSU. After all, if the test one is marginal, then if it fails, you don't know if that means something's wrong with the system, or the test PSU wasn't really up to the task.

Hopefully, though, your latest run with DDU and no internet works - definitely let us know how it goes!

chriseg

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Ok,

So i've run the DDU, all OK, reinstalled etc as per your comments with internet off.

So far 24hrs in, no issues booting - going to give it a week before I can get excited about it ... but hopefully, hopefully its sorted out.

Thanks for all your kind assistance, will get back to you!

So, this morning I woke up and thought to myself, its been over a week now since my PC spurted out those irritating four beeps.

Returned home from work, turned it on and what happened... the beeps are back.. first time since running DDU so not sure if its had some sort of effect in terms of "patching the issue up" temporarily

Edit: 13th August AM
* Pc was really hard to get booted this morning, took me atleast 10 restarts.. never been this difficult. One attempt took almost a whole minute for the succesful boot beep to sound, windows crashed and then restarted, super super laggy, couldnt even control the cursor properly or open task manager... Next restart super quick and no issues... im clueless

What should be my next step? :(

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS