Question Asus GTX 1650 Super gives 2 problem devices - is this usual?

oTrickyRickyo

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I have recently upgraded to an ASUS PH-GTX1650S-O4G and even after installing the latest drivers I still have 2 items in the "Other Devices" list with the Device Manager.

PC System info: MB is HP 8300 CMT with 8 gig Ram and running Win 7 64bit.

I have spoken to ASAS about this via email and tried a few things.
Re-installed MB chipset drivers, that didn't change things so was then requested run a system file check (SFC) which reported no integrity violations.
Finally the ASUS tech support suggested I return the card for repair or refund.

This will be pain as I have since sold my last card so it will mean no gaming if I return the card until this gets sorted.

The card works btw, it plays the games well and benchmarks higher that my previous card did (gtx960) so I'm not sure if there really is an issue with the card.. Maybe it's just an incompatibility with my MB, in which case a replacement card will likely also do it.

What do you think I should do?

BTW - the devices with errors listed in "other Devices" are:
PCI Device
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

I'm wondering if these are connected to USB or DisplayPort?

Thanks, Rich.

Lutfij

Titan
Considering that this is a prebuilt, did you replace the unit with an aftermarket one? If not, then the first thing you should do is see if a replacement PSU helps the issue. Also, with that prebuilt, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update(gradually working your way to the latest). You might also want to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall the with the latest from Nvidia's support site. Install it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

PCI Device

You should install your chipset drivers(and USB drivers for that ).

Reactions: oTrickyRickyo

oTrickyRickyo

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
1. Considering that this is a prebuilt, did you replace the unit with an aftermarket one?

2. Also, with that prebuilt, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update(gradually working your way to the latest).

3. You might also want to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers.

4. Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller & PCI Device
You should install your chipset drivers(and USB drivers for that ).
Hi Lutfij

I'm impressed with your knowledge of my system.
To answer the points you raised.

1. Yes, and I'd forgot all about that... but in order to run the previous card (GTX960) I had removed the proprietary PSU in favour of an EVGA 600W item. This involved making up a cable to interface between the MB non standard connectors and also a DC-DC buck converter to convet the PSU's 5v standby feed to 12v for the MB. This has worked fine for approx 3 years so far.

2. Good point. I did look to doing this to close a vulnerability but once I realised it would take about 7 updates to bring my BIOS up to date I decided it wasn't worth risking it, maybe that what I should do now.

3. DDU - I will give that a try before doing anything else.

4. I have tried this already but it didn't help. Also all of my motherboard USB's are working fine. These two devices only appear when the GTX 1650S is installed and as soon as I swap in another card, or use the default inbuilt card they disappear. That's why I suspect they are a feature of the new graphics card and as USB is mentioned I am suspecting it's a DisplayPort USB facility that my mobo isn't happy with.

Last edited:

oTrickyRickyo

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Oh something else that just occurred to me is that I could try the GTX1650S in my GF's PC to see how hers reacts to this card. If it installs cleanly then that would add further weight to this being an issue with my PC rather than the card being faulty.

I have recently upgraded to an ASUS PH-GTX1650S-O4G and even after installing the latest drivers I still have 2 items in the "Other Devices" list with the Device Manager.

PC System info: MB is HP 8300 CMT with 8 gig Ram and running Win 7 64bit.

I have spoken to ASAS about this via email and tried a few things.
Re-installed MB chipset drivers, that didn't change things so was then requested run a system file check (SFC) which reported no integrity violations.
Finally the ASUS tech support suggested I return the card for repair or refund.

This will be pain as I have since sold my last card so it will mean no gaming if I return the card until this gets sorted.

The card works btw, it plays the games well and benchmarks higher that my previous card did (gtx960) so I'm not sure if there really is an issue with the card.. Maybe it's just an incompatibility with my MB, in which case a replacement card will likely also do it.

What do you think I should do?

BTW - the devices with errors listed in "other Devices" are:
PCI Device

I'm wondering if these are connected to USB or DisplayPort?

Thanks, Rich.

Look at the device and vendor IDs in device manager for those two devices, look those up online, it will give you information about what those things are. Usually it's something like a fingerprint sensor or USB 3 chip that the OS can't load natively. They may show up when you put in the card but I doubt it's any hardware actually on the card that is being detected.

oTrickyRickyo

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Look at the device and vendor IDs in device manager for those two devices, look those up online, it will give you information about what those things are. Usually it's something like a fingerprint sensor or USB 3 chip that the OS can't load natively. They may show up when you put in the card but I doubt it's any hardware actually on the card that is being detected.

Yeh.. I looked into that before contacting ASUS but couldn't find where to look up the vendor ID's.
I supplied that info initially to ASUS and they told me the following;

First the Device ID's from my system.

Item 1: PCI Device

Hardware Ids:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AED&SUBSYS_87671043&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AED&SUBSYS_87671043
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AED&CC_0C8000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AED&CC_0C80

item 2: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Hardware Ids:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AEC&SUBSYS_87671043&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AEC&SUBSYS_87671043
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AEC&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AEC&CC_0C03

ASUS Tech support comment was;

Can you reload your motherboards chipset drivers, as seems to be SM BUS/USB bus related

So I did that but it didn't help.

I have looked at the motherboard's own USB device ID's and they are a different number group to the problem ones (see below)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_3396103C&REV_04

Something I have just realised on reflection is that I'm not sure these problem devices are actually causing any issues. I bench-marked my system both before & after installing this new card and the general performance of my system didn't change on either run and the graphic performance increase as expected.

Also the site reported that my new graphics card is working as expected as compared to other similar systems that have used that service. So maybe I'm worrying about nothing...

oTrickyRickyo

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
looks like both have to do with a USB C or USB 3 / 3.1 ports. It may be for video support for those, when the card is added the computer picks it up.

Yes, I've come to the conclusion they are both for USB via Display Port. This is not a feature I ever see I'll need as my PC has plenty of USB's.

I'm guessing it's either my BIOS is too old to recognise these and maybe also the mobo is too old so will never work with them.
I have tried to update the BIOS but it didn't work as I think something is blocking it - some Intel protection maybe.
Either-way my system is running well and both video & system benchmarks are where they should be (compared to others) so I don't think it is causing any real problems.

I have therefore return to the most proven mantra in engineering.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thanks for all you help & interest guys. :)