Question Asus GTX 1650 TUF gaming for old PC

Oct 4, 2022
hi here's my spec:
motherboard: P8H61-M LE R2
cpu: Intel core i5-3330
ram :2x4gb ddr3
monitor: Samsung b2055n plus
psu : 380w

So I was planning to get an Asus GTX 1650 TUF gaming but then I realized that my cpu bottlenecks the gpu and my psu might not be enough, not to mention that my monitor has only VGA port.
my biggest concern right now is the monitor cuz i can't save up more money to buy a new monitor will a HDMI to VGA or DVI-D to VGA work ?? I'm worried cuz I've seen people on this forum who had issues with their gpu not working with adapters.
also do I need to buy a better PSU? and i know that cpu is too weak for the gpu, I'm gonna upgrade it in a couple of months.
and I forgot to ask is the gpu compatible with my motherboard? it supports PCI-E 3.
thanks.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Throw the term "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary. With PCs, that term is misused to the point of meaninglessness.

Ignore bottleneck calculators. They are WORSE than useless.

With that combination of GPU and CPU, one game might put more demand on the CPU, another might put more demand on the GPU, etc. The game itself, resolution of the monitor, etc are more important issues.

The age of the PSU can be of concern. Beyond that, whether the 380w is fully available to the 12v rail or not. Take a photo of the power specifications label on the GPU, post it to imgur, and link it here.
Finally, if the GPU needs a 6-pin PCIe power connector, it's possible that your PSU doesn't have the connector.

The motherboard model number kind of sounds like it's one out of an OEM system (like Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc). Motherboards from such item systems can be notoriously finicky about working with graphics cards that are significantly more modern than the board itself.

Oct 4, 2022
Throw the term "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary. With PCs, that term is misused to the point of meaninglessness.

Ignore bottleneck calculators. They are WORSE than useless.

With that combination of GPU and CPU, one game might put more demand on the CPU, another might put more demand on the GPU, etc. The game itself, resolution of the monitor, etc are more important issues.

The age of the PSU can be of concern. Beyond that, whether the 380w is fully available to the 12v rail or not. Take a photo of the power specifications label on the GPU, post it to imgur, and link it here.
Finally, if the GPU needs a 6-pin PCIe power connector, it's possible that your PSU doesn't have the connector.

The motherboard model number kind of sounds like it's one out of an OEM system (like Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc). Motherboards from such item systems can be notoriously finicky about working with graphics cards that are significantly more modern than the board itself.
thank you very much for your answer, unfortunately I don't have the GPU to take a photo of it but here's the link:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GTX1650-4GD6-GAMING/

I've checked and my PSU has the 6 pin power connector.

what are your thoughts on buying GTX 1050ti in case 1650 is not compatible with my old pc? or even GT 1030 gddr5? do these GPUs work with adapters?? I really need to know this because my monitor only supports VGA port and unfortunately upgrading the monitor is not an option.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok so, you're good in that you have the 6-pin connector with your PSU, but, it looks like this particular card doesn't need it. I didn't notice any physical 6-pin connector in those photos, but it's possible I missed something.

I would still like to know how many amps that PSU provides on the 12v rail(s). My concern is that you bought be getting significantly less than 380w in that regard, which will be a problem.

Where are you buying the card from? Do they have a good return policy? You might ask if they will accept the card for return if it doesn't work in your system.

The 1050Ti definitely is a noticeable step down in performance. The 1030 even a bigger step down than that. I've also noticed that it seemed people were asking a lot more for those cards than their performance justifies.

As to VGA, that's a problem I never personally dealt with. From whey I've read, because VGA is an analog signal, whereas DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort are digital signals, something called an active adapter is needed to convert the output to VGA, and while not brutally expensive, they're not exactly cheap. That's about as much as I know, though, so, I'm out of my element really with regard to the adapters.

Oct 4, 2022
Ok so, you're good in that you have the 6-pin connector with your PSU, but, it looks like this particular card doesn't need it. I didn't notice any physical 6-pin connector in those photos, but it's possible I missed something.

I would still like to know how many amps that PSU provides on the 12v rail(s). My concern is that you bought be getting significantly less than 380w in that regard, which will be a problem.

Where are you buying the card from? Do they have a good return policy? You might ask if they will accept the card for return if it doesn't work in your system.

The 1050Ti definitely is a noticeable step down in performance. The 1030 even a bigger step down than that. I've also noticed that it seemed people were asking a lot more for those cards than their performance justifies.

As to VGA, that's a problem I never personally dealt with. From whey I've read, because VGA is an analog signal, whereas DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort are digital signals, something called an active adapter is needed to convert the output to VGA, and while not brutally expensive, they're not exactly cheap. That's about as much as I know, though, so, I'm out of my element really with regard to the adapters.
thanks again just one little question so I found a website called userbenchmark it shows that people with the same motherboard that I have, have done tests with GPUs much more powerful than 1050ti here's the link:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-P8H61-M-LE/3485
is this website reliable and trustworthy? Can I buy the components I want using this website?? my MBD is so old I thought it wouldn't be compatible with outdated cards like nvidia 5xx series.
As for the PSU, I'll probably upgrade it so it's not really a big deal.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, you should NOT trust that site.

Userbenchmark's editors have some very serious anti-AMD biases (sometimes it's just insane reading their editorials) . .

Now, for doing a comparison on a single system while swapping one part to another, I'm told it can be useful. For seeing if a particular part will work, it should also be fine, but I don't personally have experience relying on it myself.

That said, now that I've found out it's an Asus board, I have more confidence that the 1650 will work.