Asus GTX 580 DCUII SLI with different brand

adriansanity

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hey guys, newbie here!

i have an Asus GTX 580 Direct CUII and was considering buying a secondary graphics card for SLI. I understand that you need the same, if not similar, graphics cards with the same core clock speeds, memory shader clocks etc for SLI to work. However, its most likely due to the restraints placed by my motherboard that 2 Asus GTX 580 DCUII cards either a) won't fit or b) the top card will have poor airflow/overheat.

Is it possible for me to go with either the MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II OC or the Gigabyte GTX 580 Super Overclock as my secondary card? Will i have enough space in my case for me to accomplish this? Anyone have the same (or similar) build to mine that can verify that i can mix the ASUSxMSI or ASUSxGigabyte video card together in SLI?

Here are the specs of my build:
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Video Card: Asus GTX 580 Direct CUII
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair RAM
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900w
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Case: Antec Nine Hundred and Two (902) v3

Thanks,
Adrian.

xtreme5

Distinguished
well, you can pair a different brands without any issue, yep that one should work fine and you have an already a super duper mobo those shouldn't be a problem. If one card is slightly faster than the second one then the faster card should match it self with a slower card.

adriansanity

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
do you think that there will be sufficient room between the two graphics card for proper ventilation. i was thinking of putting the asus one in the secondary pci-e slot and one of the other (MSI or Gigabyte) one in the primary slot.