(Asus gtx 750 ti oc) New graphics card, screen goes black with underscore after booting

Abel Tes

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
I'm sure you've seen this posted at least 1000 times now, but I've read about 120 or so forum posts and nothing has helped solve the problem.

I Purchased the Asus GTX 750 ti oc and a 500w PSU, but after installing them both and trying to boot up my PC the BIOS would display for about a minute then black screen showing me a flashing underscore, there is also a periodic beeping that happens maybe three or four times before it goes black. I have tried to put back in my old graphics card and it worked fine so I'm confused.

From what I've gathered it seems my motherboard may be the problem but without the help of someone experienced there's no way for me to know. I have Gateway's DX4860 motherboard, people were saying the it may be because the board does not support something called UEFI but I'm not sure. I hope someone can help me out

Specs
CPU: i5-3450
Ram: 16GB
MoBo: DX4860
PSU: 500w

Akhil Potukuchi

Honorable
May 28, 2014

Once you put in your new card, reset your bios by using the pins on your mobo. Once that is done tell me the results when you boot.

cbholmes

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

I have the exact same problem; I updated the BIOS before putting in the card, and I'm getting the same thing. Then, I tried resetting the mobo with the pins as suggested, but now my computer just gives a series of beeps after I get the bios.

just something for you to ponder .. but lets hope its not your case

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers there only guaranteed to work as is out of the box as you bought it ,..

cbholmes

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for the help- I was planning on picking up a new motherboard after cyber monday anyways, but if I could figure this out I figured I could save myself a few $ on that.
Is there no way to flash a UEFI bios onto the stock mobo?

Diana_17

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Hi, I was facing the same problem for the last month.. In my case it was the driver update what changed something in the gpu core default mhz..
I created a post so others don't waste time/money on fixing this.
The thing that worked for me was an underclock.
Here is the post I created.

[SOLVED] Black Screen GTX 750 ti Games freezes all the time.