RustyVaper

Prominent
May 3, 2019
I had to buy a GTX650OC 2GB on eBay as my 560 died and artifacted a lot. Is this an upgrade or an upgrade as I have seen some specs and realised my new card has only 1 6pin connecter where my old card had 2. Have I accidentally downgraded?

If anyone could help by telling me what to choose as graphical settings on the screen before in Rust lauch that would also help. I used to run on Potato.

CPU- i5 2310 2.9Ghz (4 core)
PSU-EVGA 500w
MoBo-ASUS p8h61-mx r2.0
Ram-8GB Kingston Hyper X Blue DDR3
GPU-MSI GTX650 OC 2GB

RustyVaper

Prominent
May 3, 2019
Damn ! You surely downgraded. Just because the GPU was having an extra 1GB of Frame buffer/VRAM, doesn't make it FASTER.

The other specs matter a lot, depending on the GPU architecture, like the number of CUDA CORES, total bandwidth, Texel/Pixel rate, BUS width, among other things.
Well I can always look at the bright side of it. I have shadowplay now.

RustyVaper

Prominent
May 3, 2019
Damn ! You surely downgraded. Just because the GPU was having an extra 1GB of Frame buffer/VRAM, doesn't make it FASTER.

The other specs matter a lot, depending on the GPU architecture, like the number of CUDA CORES, total bandwidth, Texel/Pixel rate, BUS width, among other things.
Seems stupid giving it 2GB of VRAM and making it worse than a previously released card with less VRAM.

The way it works is the companies make low, mid, and high end cards in every new generation. So you might think the new card is better because it's from Gen 2 while your old card was Gen 1 but if your old card was a mid range card and the new card is a low end card then the new one will be slower.

In addition, the level of vram only matters if the card itself is fast enough to use more vram. Companies know that lots of customers automatically think "More ram is better" which is why they''ll make models of cards that have more vram than the card can use.

If a card is too slow to run a game at 1080p, adding more vram to it won't help.