ASUS GTX750TI-FML-OC-2GD5 Problems: Artifacts (Even in bios)/Code 43/System crashing etc.

lugithecat123

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
System Specs:

-Intel i5 2400
-Asus P8B75-m lx (1403 Current Bios)
-Asus GTX750TI-FML-OC-2GD5 (Soley pci-e slot powered version)
-2 X 4GB Kingston ddr3 ram
-Inwin 400watt PSU
-OS WIN 10 Home x64

Greetings everybody. Please go easy on me, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computers in general and I've only ever previously built 2 machines prior with new parts so I'm not really seasoned in this department of 2nd hand PC builds. I hope this question is in the right spot, please move if not. I'll try and be as thorough as I can be without turning it into a novel here and please let me know if I'm not explaining myself correctly. Right so let's begin. I seem to be at a loss for what is actually happening here. I've tried just about all I can think of. Anyway, I purchased a Asus gtx 750ti fml edition (Genuine, but after a bit of the limited info available I read on on dr. google, apparently this particular model is exclusive in only a select region?) Card was purchased off ali express 2nd hand (PCI-E POWERED, NOT A 6 PIN MODEL). Now the specs above is what being run in the current rig and was operating without fault prior to the card install but as soon as the card was installed, I was presented with red blocks and horizontal red line artifacts all throughout the bios even. It loaded into windows when the card was first installed very sluggishly with screen artifacts (Red lines and squares that seem to disappear then re-appear, moving the mouse over the squares makes them disappear temporarily which is odd) surprisingly, changing to 600x800 (I want to say) got rid of the artifacts but any other resolution messed up the screen completely. Once windows either tried to apply the appropriate driver or the even the ones I downloaded from Asus's direct site would try to install but as soon as it acknowledged the new driver the whole system would crash and the screen would freeze and look like a set of red and white Venetian blinds. From that point forward the system would crash trying to load windows, not making it past the blue logo load up. I tried tampering with settings in the bios such as dedicating the display output to the gpu as apposed to auto. No dice. No HDMI out put either just vga or dvi, at this point also, every time the system knew the GPU was in the machine, the CPU sounded as it was under a lot more strain (I guess because of the sound of the cpu fan rpm increase?). again load up times very slow. The only way to get around this issue of letting me get into the desktop was to fire back in to the system on dedicating output to iGPU in the bios. I had a look in device manger, and it acknowledged it as a nvidia gtx750 with a hazard icon (device manager also picked it up as an nvidia gtx750ti with the hazard icon when the display output was GPU but after a few restarts it got to the point where it wouldn't let me back into the desktop with card as primary output for display). I checked properties and code 43 kept appearing no matter what I did in the down time with configuring the system. driver re-installs and complete driver wipes using the recommended software in safe mode too. I re-flashed the bios even as a last ditch effort (tech-power up bios's) still no cigar, exactly the same problem. I remove the card though.. systems fine again. Install the card again and it's a hellish nightmare. I've spent the last few weeks trying to figure this one out and I have a few suspicions myself that I could either be wrong or right about. 1. (this is obvious, card's shot, vram's scrambled whatever etc you name it, that's a given as the most likely culprit) 2. system incompatibility. Could it be that the sandy bridge being a 2nd gen cu with pcie-2.0 support is not getting along with the native pci-e 3.0 support from the motherboard and GPU..I know they are backwards compatible and all but maybe seeing as pcie 3.0 back in 2012-13 was still a relatively new thing back then and it may have been a teething problem between some hard ware at the time etc?. I suspect it could also be my 2nd gen i5 preventing me from enabling xmp on the board as that functions disabled (And asus has my board showing it has xmp in the owners manual) and I don't see it at all, so my ram is capped at 1333 when I know the i5 2400 will support 1600. I also see a lot of boards around that era will accept both 2-3 generation cpus but will only give a 3rd gen intel cpu all the perks. 4. PSU.. very unlikely it's a psu issue as this board leechs all it's go-go juice off the 16x slot alone, again no 6 pin connector at all so I can't see this being a power issue either, idle load wouldn't cause a card to do this even if it was a power insufficiency. 5. the board doesn't like that particular card? i'll be to be able to rule this out when the gigabyte gtx750ti ordered the other day within my own country which arrives in the next few days) Again i hope I've explained myself well enough I'm aware it's probably a tricky problem to offer a solution or advice straight off the bat but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. happy to provide further info. Cheers. P.S Very sorry if there's any grammar issues in the above block of text also.

Feb 10, 2019

Hi man,
i've just read your question, what i wanna recommend you to first (before taking any kind of decisions) is to install the graphics card into a completely different sistem and check if it would work fine there, but anyways, according to the (pretty detailed) description of your problem, i am pretty sure that you have just purchased a dead (well a semi-dead) graphics card, since you are saying that it is artifacting even in bios (that rules out any possible driver issues) . 6 months ago or so i got my hands on an HD 6790 (XFX DD) that was artifacting pretty much the same way as your 750ti does, and it turned out it was a GPU problem. Now if you can RMA that card, just go straight ahead, othervise you may try (at your own risk) to heat up the GPU (you should apply 150-180*C on the GPU for like 5-6 minutes or so, you can try any method except the microwave one :) ), after that the card should work fine for at least 2 weeks (or more, it depends on your luck).
Hope that would help you in some way, and remember that when buying used hardware you should always check (double and then triple check) that everything is working fine BEFORE making the purchase.

PS I really don't recommend using Windows 10 (Surface edition lol :p), it was really not desinged for PC's (hell it looks and feels like crap even on my Surface 3), not only the interface is stupid, but the OS itself is pretty buggy too. As an i7 2600K + R9 280X user, i would really recommend you to install Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, it is pretty much the best Windows that you can install on a pc. And by the way, all those stupid updates , "security patches" and other bullshit that Microsoft speculates on is pretty much a gimmick, trust me.