Asus GTX970 Strix Compatibility With Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Sal2929

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
I am currently in the process of upgrading my computer and am looking at upgrading my EVGA GTX660 to the Asus Strix GTX970. While doing research on different cards I came to the conclusion that I wanted to choose the Asus Strix variant of the 970, but while I did this I saw many saying that my motherboard (http://goo.gl/Pa56LC) was not compatible and many had struggled to get their computer to boot. So my question is, should I really worry about these compatibility issues or should I just update my BIOS?

yeskay

Distinguished

No need for any BIOS updates. The board can absolutely handle the GTX 970 as it has PCI Express 2.0 16x slot. Even though card is PCI Express 3.0, it will work fine on PCI Express 2.0 slots, as the PCI Express 3.0 cards are backward compatible.

Also the performance difference of the card operating on PCI Express 2.0 slot than PCI Express 3.0 is zero or highly negligible. Cheers!

Sal2929

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Thank you for your answer. But I was concerned on the freezing part of things and the crashing others were experiencing. Sorry, should have made that more clear in my question.