[SOLVED] ASUS H81I-PLUS nothing on display evAR!

Ollie_7

Honorable
May 23, 2016
Hey there. I bought a used MB on eBay to turn my ATX Emulator/HTPC into ITX? I fought with it for many hours last night, and I cannot get it to POST, or even display anything at all on screen. I've tried everything I know. Including 3 different dual channel RAM kits (I did try each of the sticks single too). As a last resort I even pulled a CPU out of my unRAID box (i3 4170) and still get nothing. :'(

Everything other than the motherboard was/is working before the swap. 4690 non k, 8gb gskill and an r7 265. I'd like to try everything before i attempt a return. Seller said it was tested.

Any ideas?

I did try everything here (other than removing the battery) https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/

Cheers.

Edit: Trying removing the battery now.
Edit: Nothing. At least with the 4690 .. I'm not going through pulling the 4170 again.
Edit: Tried a g1840 i found in my hoard.. nuttin.
Edit: It's weird, when i try a CPU i just place a tower cooler on it with no TIM. When i turn it off the CPU is never even warm.

Last edited:
Solution
vJ2x5Do.png

I had to flash the very first BIOS for the board. Then flash each one, as they were released, until the first that mentions new 4th gen CPUs. What a pain in the ASS!

Ollie_7

Honorable
May 23, 2016
For some reason i thought my i3 was older than my i5 (it came out a year after the 4690). So when it didn't work i kinda overlooked the BIOS update. I ordered a cheap 4130 on eBay. Hopefully that gets it going so i can flash. Even if buying that cpu kills the deal i got on the mobo :/

Ollie_7

Honorable
May 23, 2016
4130 finally showed up. Put it in and it booted right up. Update the BIOS. Put in the 4690.... Nuttin honey. So strange :'(

EDIT: BIOS says v2305 and even the g1840 does not work :/

hgthPHl.jpg

Edit: Read somewhere (forget where) that flashing in windows is better on this board. Tried it. Flashed to same BIOS. Still only 4130 works.

Last edited:

Ollie_7

Honorable
May 23, 2016
I went down to the lowest BIOS that supports the newer 4th gen chips. No workie. Tried the next newest. No workie. Next newest. No workie... I just don't get what's going on here. Works totally fine with the 4130 in each of the BIOS versions.

Just to prove to myself that i'm not crazy i threw together another PC and put in the 4690.. It boots right up..

pNajKC1.jpg

Ollie_7

Honorable
May 23, 2016
vJ2x5Do.png

I had to flash the very first BIOS for the board. Then flash each one, as they were released, until the first that mentions new 4th gen CPUs. What a pain in the ASS!

Solution