Status
Not open for further replies.

rwilcoxiii

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I bought a Asus H81M-C/CSM motherboard used off of ebay because it has a parallel printer port and have intentions of using it for driving a small cnc machine. Its been my experience that the h81 chipsets have pretty good latency when using linuxcnc for realtime software stepping.

My issue is i tried several Haswell cpus (pentium g3250, i3 4160, i5 4460, i5 4590s), fans run but no beap, post or display. Tried several, psus, ddr3 1600 modules without different results.

Messaged seller that board didn't work and he sent me another identical board. Same results as above

Pulled a i5 4670k out of my z97 board and tried that everything works great on both boards. Even auto overclocked it to 4.1ghz which i didn't even know was possible on h81's.

Updated the eufi to several versions that say they are compatible with all the chips above according to the asus website on both boards with the i5 4670k in socket. Still no beeps, post or display. Used several methods of updating the bios (ezflash, dos, afu, asus ai suite in windows) Still only the 4670k works.

The other chips all work in my other h81 boards as well as the z97 and i am at a loss as why they won't go in either of the asus H81M-C/CSM boards.

The seller apparently has several of these boards and theCSM suffix is for Corporate Stable Model. Is there any situation in which an i.t. guy in a business environment would have modified some firmware not touched by reflashing the eufi rom? Are both boards faulty? Roms faulty? Just throwing things out there to ponder because I am at a loss here.

The practical thing would be to ship both these boards to the trash or back to the seller for a refund but I feel i have too much time invested to quit now, lol.

Any suggestions as to what to try next would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
I doubt that to be true since you wouldn't be on the i7-4790K if he/she did modify the BIOS rom. Your best option would be to return the board and notify them that the board doesn't accept the processors you're trying to work with.

rwilcoxiii

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Actually its a i5 4670k so it is pre refresh and the only chip i own that was released in 2013. Seems odd both boards have the same issue. I have a feeling the boards will work with several of the pre refresh chips. I got asus customer service on the phone and they have elevated the case to engineering. Worst comes to worst ill buy an early haswell pentium as linuxcnc will run on a toaster. No need for a unlocked i5 for what i need and i do have two boards for the price of one.

All those CPUs mentioned are supported with a BIOS update. You seem to lack the knowledge to update the BIOS.

*Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, Asus suggests that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool.

rwilcoxiii

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
All those CPUs mentioned are supported with a BIOS update. You seem to lack the knowledge to update the BIOS.

*Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, Asus suggests that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool.

I've updated that bios several times every way imaginable from asus windows utilities to ezflash to dos to ami utilities. Each time the flash was successful and the intended bios version showed in the
bios. The one tool i am unable to use successfully is the updater utility for 4th gen haswells. It sticks at a screen asking to install intel management engine(which is installed) Ive read about a python script used to disable intel me run at bios level and im not sure if it is reversable without a new programed bios eeprom.

rwilcoxiii

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Finally did get the bios to properly update with the Bios update tool for new 4th gen Haswell processors.

Found the following post that mentioned using an older version of the MEI driver.

I ended up doing a temporary fresh install of windows 7 pro to get the driver to work but was able to update both boards to work with all of the newer haswell processors with the same hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS