[SOLVED] ASUS H81m PLUS: SATA slots

Gebaben

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Hello!

I'm about to install a second HDD. But the problem is I don't know if these yellow SATA6G and brown SATA3G makes difference when installing the new HDD.
https://ibb.co/5xRLLyh

My MB: ASUS H81m PLUS

Should I install it in the DVD drive' slot?
Will it automaticaly rearrange the letters? So the DVD drive will be E from D?

Solution
I'm about to install a second HDD. But the problem is I don't know if these yellow SATA6G and brown SATA3G makes difference when installing the new HDD.
For mechanical HDD it doesn't matter.
If you were to install SATA SSD, then you'd want to connect it to SATA6G port.
3.5"drive doesn't normally fit into 5.25" optical drive bay. You'll need 5.25" to 3.5" drive adapter.

41yBNmYNLIL._AC_SS450_.jpg

No letters do not get rearranged. You'll have to set desired drive letter yourself.
For mechanical HDD it doesn't matter.
If you were to install SATA SSD, then you'd want to connect it to SATA6G port.
3.5"drive doesn't normally fit into 5.25" optical drive bay. You'll need 5.25" to 3.5" drive adapter.

41yBNmYNLIL._AC_SS450_.jpg

No letters do not get rearranged. You'll have to set desired drive letter yourself.

Solution

Gebaben

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016

You misunderstood, sorry about that, my bad. I meant under 'install it in the DVD drive' slot' that I plug out the DVD driver from the MB's 2nd SATA slot and put it into the 3rd slot . Then I plug the new HDD into the second SATA slot where the DVD driver was. So the final result would be:

SATA slot 1( yellow SATA6G): 1st HDD
SATA slot 2( yellow SATA6G): DVD driver

To:
SATA slot 2( yellow SATA6G): 2nd HDD
SATA slot 3( dark brown SATA3G): DVD driver

So I assume I need to arrange the letters in disk management, right?

Last edited:
You misunderstood, sorry about that, my bad. I meant under 'install it in the DVD drive' slot' that I plug out the DVD driver from the MB's 2nd SATA slot and put it into the 3rd slot . Then I plug the new HDD into the second SATA slot where the DVD driver was. So the final result would be:

SATA slot 2( yellow SATA6G): DVD driver

To:
SATA slot 2( yellow SATA6G): 2nd HDD
SATA slot 3( dark brown SATA3G): DVD driver

So I assume I need to arrange the letters in disk management, right?
It makes some difference.
6gb refers to the transfer rate from the device buffer to the motherboard.
Hard drive performance is primarily determined by the mechanical performance of the HDD.
But most new HDD devices will have the ability to transfer data to/from the cache at 6gb.
I would simply move the dvd connection to sata 3, and plug in the hdd into sata 2.
It should not matter what drive leters you get from this procedure.
If it does, you can rename then in windows.

I might add that today, with SSD prices getting better, I would look to using a SSD, particularly for windows.
A 6gb connection for a ssd is definitely faster since there is no mechanical delay.

Instead of adding a second HDD, why not buy a 1tb Samsung 870 QVO to replace your C drive?
It will cost about $100. If one tb can cover the used portion of your C drive and then some,
Use the samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive to the ssd.
Here is a link to the app and instructions:

Believe me, a ssd will be the best performance upgrade you can make.

Gebaben

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
I suggested QVO only because it is likely the cheapest Samsung ssd device.
I suggested Samsung primarily because of the ease of transition using the SSD migration aid.
The aid has never failed to work for me.

While the QVO is not the fastest of SSD devices, when writing, it is decent when reading, and that is what is done most. ANY SSD is a vast performance boost over any HDD, including the 10k rpm devices.

If the 860 or 870 EVO is not too different in price, of course, that would be better.