Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Hi everyone :)

I've assembled a fanless system based on the following parts:

- Akasa Euler
- ASUS H81T
- Intel G3220
- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
- 4GB Kingston HyperX Impact 1600MHz, DDR3L, CL9 SODIMM 1.35V (ONE stick)

I put everything together, connected the power brick, connected the monitor, (HDMI on the board, DVI on the monitor)...and nothing happened. At first I'd made a mistake connecting the power button on the mobo, I corrected that, tried again, and this time the PWR LEDs came to life, but still the system didn't seem to boot.

Monitor says "no signal". So I started isolating the problem.
It's not the monitor, cause it works on my other PC.
It's not the DVI-HDMI cable either, so it's something in the miniPC itself.
The power LED on the mobo lights up green, so it's being fed power correctly.
The CPU also seems to be getting juice, I left the miniPC switched on for a few minutes until I noticed the fins were actually getting warm (not that easy to realize when you sys is COMPLETELY silent).
USB ports are getting power too, I connected a keyboard and the backlight turns on.
I removed the RAM stick from channel A to B and back, doesn't seem to make a difference.

I thought it might be a problem with the MOBO BIOS as suggested in this very similar case: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2317362/asap-update-bios-post.html and http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67629&p=585680

But my CPU is one of the few supported on the very first version of the BIOS, so it's not that either...
I have no way to test the DVI output as of yet, so for all I know it might just be the HDMI output not working.

I'm at my wit's end :(((

Any suggestions, please?

In your case, the MB does support the g3220, from asus site the g3220 need 0209 version BIOS, that is the 1st version. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81T/HelpDesk_CPU/

I think the problem maybe from the DVI-HDMI, because the the LED is green.

You can try to remove the ram to see you get the error when boot the pc w/o the memory, that will tell you the ram works or not, because if the pc does not boot that means the ram is fine. So that means the cable may have problem.

You either try it on other pc or borrow one from your friend to try before you buy the new cable. If the cable works and the MB may have problem.

Tar Palantir

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
The cable works on my other PC. I'll try to boot without RAM and/or SSD, but how can I "get an error" when my monitor is black anyway? I'll get back to you once I've tested it, thank you for the help :)

Tar Palantir

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I have an internal speaker from my previous build, but the only input that MIGHT fit it on this mobo is named SPK_OUT, 4 pins, the plastic around them is too narrow, it doesn't fit. There's nothing on the mobo manual that even includes the work "speaker" or "system warning", so I must conclude that there isn't one. That will teach me to buy cheap chipsets again. So I'm going blind without sound signals and the LED has never blinked once, no matter what I did.

I looked up that troubleshot, tried a few things:

disconnected SSD, no boot
disconnected RAM, no boot
plugged a CPU fan, spins just fine, no boot

so far I've no way to determine weather the HDMI output on the mobo works, as I only have DVI input monitors, and no DVI-DVI cable
then it occured to me I could use the TV, I connected the DVI on the mobo, HDMI on the TV, still nothing appeared...

I may have to repost this and all that has happened on the System subforum, I have no idea what to do next.

Tar Palantir

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Something has just occured to me, the RAM http://www.kingston.com/en/company/press/article/7247?Article-Title=HyperX-Releases-%E2%80%98Impact%E2%80%99-SO-DIMMs,-FURY-SSD,-White-Cloud-Headset-and-SKYN-Mouse-Pad-at-COMPUTEX-TAIPEI

I just realized "Chipsets Compatible: with HM65, HM67, HM70, HM75, HM76, HM77, HM86, HM87, QM67, QM87, QS67, UM67 and UM77 Intel chipsets"

Does that mean it's only compatible with mobile chipsets??? Is that possible??? What kind of RAM would I need then? There's nothing on the mobo manual, other than it needs DDR3 SODIMM sticks.

EDIT: also, Asus' list of compatible RAM seems to be pretty OLD http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Q87T/Q87T_DRAM_QVL.pdf

they are all 1066mhz models

Your MB need the SODIMM RAM, here is from the asus: support 2 x SO-DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1600/1333/1066 MHz Memory. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81T/specifications/
Because you don't have the beep code, and other compatible hardware to test, that is a little bit hard to know which part has the problem. Do you buy those parts from online or local shop? If you bought from local shop you may try bring the PC to them, and ask for help, or go to local PC shop ask for help too.

kevirost

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014

Tar Palantir

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

The problem is I don't have spare so-dimm RAM, CPUs or Mobos to isolate the problem. The only thing left to do is bring everything to a PC shop and ask for a diagnostic, like cin19 suggested. All the componets come from Amazon, so I shouldn't have a problem returning the bad piece once I find out which one it is. I don't think there's more I can do without outside help.

Since you have the very same mobo, could you tell me weather:

-it could post without a CPU fan the first time you turned it on (after you corrected your problem ofc)
-it can post with a single stick of RAM (just in case you tested the RAM separately when you built it)
-it had a working HDMI output before you updated the drivers

What was your problem btw? Bad RAM? Did you have to buy a new set, was it sufficient to swap channels, or what? Specifics on these things could really help, thank you!

EDIT: and btw, how did you manage to get the 4590 working, it's not supported by the first version of the BIOS, and as far as I know, this Asus board doesn't support BIOS updates without post.