Question ASUS H871-Plus with an I5-4690K CPU - No POST (h87 discussed too)

Lukesaber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2019
Boy oh boy what a day.

I'm posting this not to ask for help, but to provide a solution.

I purchased a PC used with an ASUS H871-PLUS motherboard in it.

After chacking the fastest I5 CPU that could be installed, i sought out a new CPU. I settled on the I5-4690K.

I flashed the BIOS with every available version i could find on ASUS's support page and could not get it to boot up. No boot, No post... whatever. It was a pretty box and that was it.

Turns out, you need to use the "windows" bios updater - versioned 2.00.02 (available on the ASUS support page) to flash your BIOS.
Every attempt i made through the BIOS screen with a USB key was useless. It would update, but wouldn't allow the chip to work.

Maddeningly, this windows based tool WILL NOT WORK for you with currently available drivers.

As i am attempting to save you from risking virus infection, i will inform you that the driver you need for this is "MEI_Win7_8_VER9001287".

I'm running Windows 10, and this driver install failed for the most part, but allowed the Intel Management Engine driver version 9.0.0.1287 to see itself installed.

Search those on the internet and you should find something that will do.

Magically, the bios update tool started to work and i was able to flash the BIOS.

I flashed it with the "1005" version and threw in the chip.

This post was written with the CPU that originally would not POST.

ASUS technical support was absolutely useless and they blamed a failure on the board or a bad CPU, and wanted me to send it in at my cost.

I hope this post saves you the frustration i went through and that you all can find enjoyment with a faster CPU on this board.

Lukesaber

--------------------------------
Added info - i originally posted this as an h87 plus and this was my mistake - i have ameded this my changing the thread title. I hope that the correct bios version for the H87 plus of 2001 is effective at enabling the use of the I5-4690K

PhilT_99 please let us know if you were successful

Thanks

Last edited:

Lukesaber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2019
Hey, it IS listed as requiring that Alexoiu - i just couldn't find another solution that worked for me.

I honestly dont know exactly where i found the driver for management engine interface - i went nuts and said screw it - ill format if i get a virus... im going to try EVERYTHING - and it worked.

I still have a copy of the driver in zip format, but i am unable to post the file as an attachment here...

search for MEI_Win7_8_VER9001287 and you should be able to find one. If you cant, we will have to figure out a way for us to connect and i'll link you the file. Not really interested in posting a public link to my private webserver...

let me know

Jan 17, 2020
Hey, it IS listed as requiring that Alexoiu - i just couldn't find another solution that worked for me.

I honestly dont know exactly where i found the driver for management engine interface - i went nuts and said screw it - ill format if i get a virus... im going to try EVERYTHING - and it worked.

I still have a copy of the driver in zip format, but i am unable to post the file as an attachment here...

search for MEI_Win7_8_VER9001287 and you should be able to find one. If you cant, we will have to figure out a way for us to connect and i'll link you the file. Not really interested in posting a public link to my private webserver...

let me know
I've found the driver too, and it worked, now the bios updater tool works but is the Bios version the problem, I'm trying every version possible but the results are the same everytime

Lukesaber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2019
Try version 1005 - this is the one that worked for me and im using currently - should be in the bios list

Wow, just made a discovery - i installed the driver from the h871 plus support page.

Now im not even sure if i have an 87 plus or an 871 and am wondering if my underwear is installed on my body in the right orientation.

Hope the driver from the H871 works for you, if it DOESNT - i need to change the title of my post :S

Jan 17, 2020
I was suspecting that, infact I've asked because that bios version is not made for H87-Plus, it can work, but I don't want to Removed up my mobo.
If you can tell what version of the mobo is yours I will appreciate that

Last edited by a moderator:

Lukesaber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2019
Ah - i typo'd my post and i am sorry.

I have an H871 plus. I will be changing the title of my post

I found that the H87 plus needs the bios version 2001 - i hope this helps

Jan 17, 2020
Let us know if it works!
I've tried with bios 2001 and 2003 and it doesn't work, also with the "Windows" tool I haven't found results, so there are 2 possibilities:
1 - My I5-4690k is broken in some way
2 - The mobo doesn't support that CPU

(The mobo is functioning perfectly with an I5-4460 and also with a Pentium G3420, so it can't be broken)

Jan 17, 2020
Finally I figured out what was the problem, it was a bended pin that is not used by dual core CPUs, so the Pentium was running fine, the two i5 not, now I set that pin in the proper position and everything is working fine

TRENDING THREADS