Question Asus h871-plus

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Hi, I found an old Asus h871-plus mobo and used it in a build that has issues. Its being used with the original processor haswell i5 that was in it.

-When I put the whole thing together without a graphics card, theres no video output on the motherboard - none of the ports work.

-When I add an external video card. the video on it does work, the computer will load windows normally, but the computer shuts off randomly between 40min - 2 hours. All the temps read normally before shutdown so I think its a short somewhere.

-When I disconnect everything theres no post but that might just be that theres no speaker (I dont know if there is or isnt). I tried a different PSU and theres still no post.

Is the mobo fried or could it be a bad processor or bad seating on the processor? The bigger issue is the random hard shutdowns but could that be connected to no video output on the mobo?

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unlikely to be a short, as any short should present itself well before 40-120mins of solid usage.

Potentially VRMs have degraded, or are overheating.... Or a PSU related issue? Potentially drivers too.

As for no video out without a GPU, that's odd. Perhaps the iGP is disabledi n the BIOS?

Please post your full system specs, including any replacement components you've used to troubleshoot.

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Unlikely to be a short, as any short should present itself well before 40-120mins of solid usage.

Potentially VRMs have degraded, or are overheating.... Or a PSU related issue? Potentially drivers too.

As for no video out without a GPU, that's odd. Perhaps the iGP is disabledi n the BIOS?

Please post your full system specs, including any replacement components you've used to troubleshoot.

Okay so it sounds like you are saying the issues are unrelated. New PSU didnt give me any video. I doubt it would solve the shutdown issue but I can try. I already checked bios settings while using the the external video card. It was set to auto which means the mobo graphics should work. On top of that everything was reset to factory settings and the latest bios was installed. The issue was still present with the old bios.
If its degraded VRMs, theres nothing practical I can do to fix that right?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
IF it's the VRMs... then as far as a "fix", no.

However, to troubleshoot - I'd suggest ensuring the shutdowns will occur in a set configuration (sounds like you're already there) and then, point a case fan directly over the VRM and see if the issue persists.

If it doesn't, then your VRMs are likely overheating - and aftermarket VRM cooling could be considered.
If it does persist.... then I'm at a loss.

As I mentioned though, full system specs would be useful.

TRENDING THREADS