Asus H97m-e overclocking issue with 4790k

Bong__delonge

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Asus H97m-e overclocking. I'm able to overclock my i7 4790k on this board (z97 board developed a fault), but can only set the multiplier over 44x.

For example on my old board I had it clocked to 4.4 constantly at under 1.200v and while I wouldn't necessarily call this an "overclock" I was happy running this with turbo boost and speedstep off. While I can clock to 4.8 on the h97 I'm unable to set it at 4.4. There is no CPU bclk as far as I can see in the bios.

What seems to happen is that when I enable CPU ratio unlocking and enter 44 it changes automatically from 'enabled' to 'disabled' and re-enables turbo boost automatically. I know I can run at higher clocks but it requires a voltage push that I'm not entirely comfortable with on this board.

I doubt that many people overclocking have this board, but is this something that anyone has encountered on z97 or other platforms? I feel as if I'm missing something simple but unsure. It also only turbos up to 4.2 on all cores it stress tests. I can't remember whether this was also an issue with the z97.

I got it to run at 4.4 once after a bsod while testing 4.6ghz. I have no idea how but in cpu z the multiplier was set at x44 and was passing prime95 without issues besides the higher set voltage. I've been unable to replicate this tho.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Its seem very odd that I cannot set it below the turbo frequency.

1) Intel did block the OC Feature on Non-Z motherboard by adding the microcode in the newer BIOS. If your MB has the old version BIOS, you may still oc.
2) You may try clear the CMOS, then try whatever oc setting again, but check your MB BIOS first to see the MB has which version BIOS, new or old. If the MB has newer version, you can't oc anymore in theory.