[SOLVED] Asus Hardware Error Beep Code Troubleshooting

danageis

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
I recently upgraded my video card to a RTX 3070 (coming from a gtx970 if that could matter). The installation went smoothly, and my system seems completely stable as far as I can tell (gaming performance is about what I'd expect, passed some stress testing via OCCT and furmark).

However, as soon as I installed the graphics card and booted, my mobo is now giving me a beep code error after the post beep (beeps once as usual when posting, but now followed by 4 fast error beeps). Researching I think that this beep code is general hardware failure, so I had been assuming it has something to do with my new graphics card, but nothing seems off and I don't see anything when entering the bios that alerts of a problem. I just updated to the most recent bios on offer for my mobo and that did not solve the issue either.

There doesn't appear to be any issues at all once the pc boots into windows, but it is annoying to have these beep errors every time I boot. Does anybody have any idea on what could he causing the issue, or any troubleshooting advice?

My system specs are as follows, please let me know if there is any further info I can provide:

CPU: i7-4790k (overclocked to 4.6GHz @ 1.25V)
Mobo: Asus Z97-A/USB3.1
RAM: 16GB Patriot DDR3@1866MHz
Boot drive: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

HI danageis :)

If your Bios is AMI then four beeps indicates "The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory."

Try clearing CMOS. If system boots successfully enter BIOS and reset to default, save changes and exit.

If this does not solve your issue, then I would try updating your BIOS to the latest version. Version 3503 can be downloaded from here:

danageis

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Tried resetting CMOS, no luck. Did it twice for good measure, still getting the same beep codes. I also tried reseating the GPU in case there was something weird there, so far I am still stumped.

danageis

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Try disabling CSM in the BIOS but 1st make sure your Boot drive is GPT and not MBR.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/84888-check-if-disk-mbr-gpt-windows.html
I read a few other posts that stated that this worked for them when they had this same issue.
Wow, that did the trick, thank you so much! I am interested as to why this occurred, do you have any further info I could read into that? Do you think it was just a fluke that this started occurring when I installed my video card? In the past I have disabled CSM (I believe when I had MacOS and Ubuntu running on this machine I needed to disable it). Regardless, thank you! That is something I had certainly not thought to check and it fixed the problem immediately.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Wow, that did the trick, thank you so much! I am interested as to why this occurred, do you have any further info I could read into that? Do you think it was just a fluke that this started occurring when I installed my video card? In the past I have disabled CSM (I believe when I had MacOS and Ubuntu running on this machine I needed to disable it). Regardless, thank you! That is something I had certainly not thought to check and it fixed the problem immediately.
From what I read, it works because the GPU you installed uses a UEFI BIOS.
So if CSM is enabled the BIOS has to run through a search for the GPU and doesn't instantly recognize it.
With CSM disabled it immediately see it as a UEFI device.