[SOLVED] ASUS has discovered the Forever Battery??

Jan 13, 2020
Hi and good day!

Maybe it's a good time to buy ASUS stocks.

I disassembled a 2014 ASUS laptop, model A555LP to try reset the CMOS because the turd can not even boot to BIOS menu (screen is dark but HDD spins) after I set some BIOS parameters.

Funny thing is I can't find a battery. I know there are generally two kinds of CMOS batteries--the round one with a plastic seater and the plastic-encased one with wires. Neither of them could be found.

This is a hand-me-down PC so I got it to think maybe some person wrenched the battery off. But I can't find any power terminals nor reset jumpers anywhere. Intriguingly the CMOS settings are maintained for the year that I have operated the thingie.

Any thoughts, dear members? A Forever Battery hidden somewhere 😬? Here are two pics...

Thanks!

https://ibb.co/1m1gdYc

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I can't find a definite answer on that, but I suspect that the CMOS memory on that model is supplied by an onboard capacitor. It might be that you can visually determine if any of the capacitors look like they are leaking or bulging, and if so, they MIGHT be replaceable if you know how to replace capacitors which requires some specialized equipment to de-solder and then re-solder a new cap in place, but on some boards the caps are simply not replaceable by normal methods.
The model you listed seems to be for the laptop keyboard, not the laptop itself. Are you certain of the model number? I would double check, because normally I can always find the relevant product information based on model but in this case I am not getting relevant results for A555LP except for as a keyboard for a number of similar laptops.

Also, probably this model uses a charged capacitor on the logic board, rather than a 2032 coin or wired CMOS battery. If the capacitor has failed or is not getting charged due to a faulty internal power jack assembly or transformer cable, then either the capacitor or logic board, or the faulty charging cable, might need to be replaced.

Likely, given it's age, you may probably simply have a faulty motherboard or corrupted BIOS ROM.

I can't find a definite answer on that, but I suspect that the CMOS memory on that model is supplied by an onboard capacitor. It might be that you can visually determine if any of the capacitors look like they are leaking or bulging, and if so, they MIGHT be replaceable if you know how to replace capacitors which requires some specialized equipment to de-solder and then re-solder a new cap in place, but on some boards the caps are simply not replaceable by normal methods.

Solution