Question Asus Hyper M.2 x16 V2 adaptor (+ intel 660p m.2 SSD ) with Asus P9X79 Motherboard

Notoriouss21

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
Hey, i recently bought a new intel 660p 512gb ssd and thought i will install it as extra storage device but when it came i noticed that my motherboard doesnt support m.2 ssd so i checked online and found that there is a possibility to solve all this with an adaptor so i got the adaptor and installed it so i started up pc and noticed that it didnt detect anything even tho the lights on the adaptor are on and it shows on the adaptor that the ssd is on too but inside the windows i cannot find anything. i checked device manager but there was no m.2 devices found. maybe you guys could help me out on this one because i feel that im missing something maybe i need to activate something, i have no experience with this.

popatim

Titan
maybe i should update my motherboard, and if you know any motherboards that support this adaptor pls tell me
You'll need a newer board , which means CPU & Ram as well, that supports 4 way bifurcation. Ie - it will split up the lanes in an x16 pcie slot (operating in x16 mode) into 4 pcie lanes each. Putting the card in a board that supports bifurcation, but not 4 way, would work but only two if the m2 slots would be active since a two way bifurcation would split it up into x8/x8

Notoriouss21

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
You'll need a newer board , which means CPU & Ram as well, that supports 4 way bifurcation. Ie - it will split up the lanes in an x16 pcie slot (operating in x16 mode) into 4 pcie lanes each. Putting the card in a board that supports bifurcation, but not 4 way, would work but only two if the m2 slots would be active since a two way bifurcation would split it up into x8/x8
no