Asus Hyper M.2 x4 MINI compatibility

adminant

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
I want to create RAID1 with two Plextor M8PEG M.2 drives on motherboard Asus P10S WS. But I discovered that M.2 slots on mb are just x1, so they will limit M.2 transfer rate.
So I decided to buy two Asus Hyper M.2 x4 MINI PCI-E cards and install drives through them to achieve x4 rate.
But the problem is that Asus web site does not mention Intel C236 chipset as compatible with this card. Can someone confirm it will work ok, and also what about two cards simultaneously.

adminant

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
I installed two M.2 Hyper MINI cards, and everything works lke a charm, transfer is now 3.2 Gb/sec in RAID1 mode.

banana_couch

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017

Hi. What m.2 ssd are you using? I have exactly same board, Asus P10S WS, using all 8 sata ports for ZFS. Thought I can try m.2 samsung 850 evo as cash. Then found out that 2 sata port are on the same controller as m.2 slots. Tried using Hyper M.2 x4 MINI, but nothing shows up in uefi. Tried using SilverStone Technology Dual, nothing as well. But when i plug ssd direct into m.2 slot, without hard drives, it shows up.

adminant

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Hi! I'm using Plextor M8PeG 512Gb NVMe drives. AFAIK there is setting in BIOS which enables SATA or M.2 ports, maybe it is your problem. And don't forget to update BIOS, to the latest 3003 for this moment, there are some changes in SATA and RAID settings. And NVMe drives don't work with IRST BIOS, only SATA.
BTW I've got some problems with this mobo and M.2.
When SATA controller is in RAID mode, one of my Plextor drives disappears from system after power off/on. But when I reset cmos settings it appears back again. I reported this to ASUS, but they cannot help, just resend message to new and new level of support without useful feedback.

banana_couch

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017

I think I figured it out. Samsung 850 is SATA not NVMe, thats why it won't work when using pcie adapter. They both m.2 slot but different interfaces. I still have to test it, to be sure.

Talking about your issue, try updating SSD's Firmware. I'm not 100% sure that this will help, but when I used to have problems with my older SSD, firmware update helped.

http://www.storagereview.com/node/3656

http://www.goplextor.com/Product/Detail/M8Pe(G)#/Download

Oct 9, 2018

Did you find a soloution? I am in the same situation where I need to use all 8 SATA drives, and need to add m.2 drives in addition. I do have NVMe pcix (not SSD), so was hoping I could add this Asus Hyper m.2 card to get some m.2 slots that doesn't interfere with the SATA ports. on the Asus P10S WS board.