Asus Introduces A Trio Of New X399 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
ASUS is making an interesting choice going with EATX only for their TR4 line, so far. That leaves out a lot of cases people might want to build with.

Personally, I could do without that extra M.2 dimm for an ATX board. I suppose they're hoping people will want that m.2 dimm so much, that they'll buy an EATX case to support it. I had planned on an ASUS board, but I guess the ASRock Taichi may be the way to go.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
hell will freeze over before i pay $500 for a AMD Chipset motherboard. x399 is cheap and you know there is no thunderbolt. whats the deal with asus?

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
And here I was hoping for quick death of U.2. At least SATA Express is gone.
Still, 6x SATA on such high-end board lineup is plain insult to consumers. Not to mention single GbE or if 10GbE included, putting it on dedicated card, instead of on-board.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
"hell will freeze over before i pay $500 for a AMD Chipset motherboard. x399 is cheap and you know there is no thunderbolt. whats the deal with asus?"

"Intel makes a gimped hedt motherboard and the sell for $600, no one bats an eye. Md sells a monster for $500 and people loose their friggin minds!"

G

X399 with 64 PCIe and Quad Memory Channel leaves so many cool options. Can't wait for a second iteration of their boards.

Rodney Wilder

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
@Steven Lynch. Your specs table is wrong. All of these include Intel Gigabit ethernet, not just the various levels of integrated AC or AD wifi.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I preferred storage not sitting on my mainboard, myself. Frees up board space, easier to cool. But with desktops now the minority of PC purchases, I suppose standardizing on M.2 was inevitable. They really should have avoided including SATA in M.2 at all though, would have simplified things a bit when upgrading OEM systems with an M.2 port.

Chris_525

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
second class boards for an irrelevant socket. Asus and other partners still see amd as liability, rather than a revenue source. And they are right, nobody is going to buy this dual socket glued together monstrosity.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006

You might want to check Amazon best sellers... and read more.. I mean some where other than gaming discussions. Threadripper is becoming a point of interest for a lot of content creators, personal workstations, even scientists where they look for all the x86 cores they can have.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
It's strange as how ASUS is treating Ryzen. They still didn't release any microATX high-end ROG motherboard. and all these x399 motherboards are EATX while other makers are doing it with ATX.

I think for AM4 ROG microATX they're working on a one for Raven Ridge APU's, and for X399, a microATX will need hell of a work to cram it on this size.

Immitem

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
No matter how unrealistic I am still holding out for an MATX Threadripper motherboard. That way I can work on a smaller, cooler, less power-hungry workstation "until" I need to render an animation.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006

I've a feeling that it's possible... Yes harder than x99/x299 mainly duo to the larger TR socket.. but having 4 RAM slots can limit the size... The remaining thing will be the chipset.

Being an SoC, I don't know if TR can work alone without the chipset, but not having it will reduce some IO mainly the extra SATA & USB ports... But I don't know also how big the x399 chipset is really as all motherboards are covering it already...

I would like a mATX x399 motherboard with at least 6 sata ports, front USB 3.1 g2 header, 2x M.2 slots one of them with both SATA and PCIe, 10gb Ethernet, watercooling monitoring headers...
Integrated headphone amp is a plus.

Immitem

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

I personally do not need too many of those features but the dual M.2 slots would be a nice score (it would also reduce my render times by speeding up the initialisation sequence) and the headphone amp would also be a nice plus. I will soon be learning Houdini for SFX and I heard that the newest release is threaded better than ever which peaks my interest in the 1950x. Time saved calculating simulations means the potential for more iterations!

On the other hand I use Redshift in Maya to render which means I stuffed my 5930K system with 4 GPUs (1 Firepro + 3 Blower Style Geforce). They stay pretty cool, even at full load, but I pay the price in sheer noise and all that heat has to get dumped somewhere. Throwing the Firepro plus a single Geforce card for rendering into a smaller system will save on noise, power, and heat while freeing up space in my main system for an extra card which I can keep turned off until I need to render an animation!

Status
Not open for further replies.