Asus Introduces Strix Cards; Fans All Turn Off Below 65˚C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plusthinking Iq

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
have not seen any software that can turn off fans, at 17% fanspeed(800rpm) my gigabyte windforce cooler its very silent to 70c but whould be nice if fans stopped at 65c, less dust over the years.

Why is this needed? My GPU fans run at 30% until 50C and are silent at that speed. I can't hear them at all. I'd rather my card stay at 40C when in desktop use than running it at 60C all the time, seems like it would be better for the longevity of the card.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
This is just marketing in my opinion, below 65-70C most cards are whisper quiet if not inaudible due to case or CPU fans. The only reason to buy these would be 6GB VRAM, and that is really stretching it,

dont see the point, at 10-20% fan speet the fans are inaudible anyway. As soon as its under any load with 0% fan speed the fans will turn right back on again. Another flashy marketing gimmick for Asus to stick on their box.

Plusthinking Iq

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
no fan rpm mean no dust in gpu, and newer pc can turn of case fans as well. then its a idle passive cooling pc.
if some people cant hear the noise a pc makes, you live in a crappy noisy area and must move.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

I think a can of compressed air once a month, or even once every 2 months can take care of your dust problem. Also if you have good fans (Noctua or some of the Corsairs too) and keep them either on a fan controller or a low/ ultra-low noise adapter, any high quality PSU that has proper ventilation and sound dampening foam, you can have a near silent PC

Lee Yong Quan

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
doubt anyone would heard it spinning at <30% unless you stick your ear to it. practically not useful at all and you had better no charge for extra just so because it can run at 65c at zero fan speed

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
TBH, I have a GTX670 running at 10% which makes little to no sound-
CPU, Case fans, all very low.
Meanwhile, it's really the PSU making all the noise -
and that's even with a seasonic X series....

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
TBH, I have a GTX670 running at 10% which makes little to no sound-
CPU, Case fans, all very low.
Meanwhile, it's really the PSU making all the noise -
and that's even with a seasonic X series....

My bad, it wasn't the PSU making the noise....
it was my HDD...

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
This should be standard most GPU can safely iddle fanless. Correct me if I am wrong don't fan motors use up more quickly if the go start stop sequence with high frequency ?

Status
Not open for further replies.