Asus Introduces Z97 WS Workstation Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
How can I get a job here? I could also read articles other websites posted a few days ago and rewrite them here. Heck I might even be able to do it later that same day or next day :) You have my email!

lp231

Splendid
Their WS heatsink rarely changes, it's almost similar dating back to the fossil ages of socket 775.
Looks like those USB ports found on the WS are no longer there, but there are 2 internal USB 3 headers, good if your case has 4x front USB 3. The other board that has this was their P8Z77-V Pro. Not even the deluxe has 2 internal USB 3 headers.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Too bad they skipped Thunderbolt. No thunderbolt *and* no firewire means its not a first choice as a DAW motherboard, or for serious video editing.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
A lot of PCIe lanes used there - I'd imagine there are two PLX switches to accommodate all that (one from the CPU and one from the chipset).

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Ok, research on Asus' site shows it *does* have firewire, and has a (displayport) header for their Thunderbolt expansion card.

Can't tell if there are PLX switches sorry.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Im surprised they didnt add more ram slots. Being a workstation board, the more ram the better. Also, I would like to see a Micro Atx board geared towards WS needs... Lets start getting boards the size of the new mac pro that can scream!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No sure what some folks are looking at, but the specs are pretty darn impressive:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97WS/specifications/

Keep in mind, this is a WS class mobo. It isn't intended to be as "flashy" as a gaming rig component. "Beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.

TeamBLU 4K

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Too bad they skipped Thunderbolt. No thunderbolt *and* no firewire means its not a first choice as a DAW motherboard, or for serious video editing.

Indeed, it's too bad ASUS stopped putting on Thunderbolt 2.0 connectors on their Z97 motherboards. Big drawback just as Intel announced 10Gbps Thunderbolt networking.
I will be going for GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH which does have Thunderbolt 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.