Asus Intros Maximus VIII Extreme, Impact Motherboards At ROG Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
nice, when do they start making the same boards without all the ROG BS. They always do it eventually. Can't wait to see a non red asus mitx board!

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
so no PLX chip in the Extreme?? wow Asus really dropped the ball.. All of the Maximus Extreme Boards carry PLX for 4 Way action, but looks like they spent that money on plastic shrouds.

Sep 30, 2013
The "boxes" look sorta cheap.

I guess the fan-sink of the first one did too. Almost like if it was made of plastic.

The "magnetic shielding"-look doesn't look all that great too me.

I don't know how it could be made otherwise though :), I guess it's an issue of space which they solve and that's great :)

Lutfij

Titan
Actually the Maximus VIII Impact is found on Newegg for more than the speculated $200 mark. In fact it costs a boat load more than the EVGA which usually is the top tiered board with a little scaled down features.

SATA port location wise, the Gigabyte seems to have placed a benchmark with their angled connectors at the edge of the board.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Actually the Maximus VIII Impact is found on Newegg for more than the speculated $200 mark. In fact it costs a boat load more than the EVGA which usually is the top tiered board with a little scaled down features.

SATA port location wise, the Gigabyte seems to have placed a benchmark with their angled connectors at the edge of the board.
I guess I checked newegg too soon. I see it is up now for $248.

According to newegg. the wifi/bluetooth is plugged into an M.2 connector. i guess you get a choice of connectivity or storage?

Lutfij

Titan
I dug up the product page on Asus' site:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT/

They did away with the M.2 port in favor of introducing the U.2 port and for NVMe integration. Expensive for the latter but that means they thought of an alternative.

mll0576

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Uhhh all fan headers have been PWM for ages and is also included on the cheaper boards, this is not a new thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.