asus, iwill, voltages, temps and overclocking!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well my asus a7v133 died last week. constant ide controller lockups were NOT doing much for
a. my sanity
b. my productivity
or
c. data and device integrity.

it was probably partially my fault, though the way the problem manifested itself out of the blue leads me to suspect a POS psu or the POS mobo itself.

anyway... ive now got a very nice Iwill KK266R-plus. and boy was it hard to find here in australia. most shops dont stock them. those that do only have the KA ddr version.
but i got it, and its got some sweet overclocking options.
its got its curiosities though,
3 onboard temp monitors, core and mobo obviously, and a third that usually sits at or just below the mobo temp, so im calling it casetemp. which is nice to have. only 2 monitored onboard fans though, which is a little dissapointing. ill probably monitor my hsf and the psu.

course SOMETHING had to not work... as befits my proud tradition whenever something new arrives. and it was the modem. hard lockups indicative of a hardware/irq conflict. that was fixed by some IRQ juggling.

now whats really suprised/concerned me is the CORE TEMP.
on the old asus it was 52C full load, 54-58 when the room got hot. now its sitting at only 43! with the motherboard temps around the same.
question is... did the guy put a properamount of thermal goop on and seat it properly, or is the sensor further away from the core than the asus board? owners of iwill boards please contact me!

i also found my ram dying unusually at 150Mhz @ cas 2. on the asus board it ran fine at the same settings.
initially only at extreme settings died,(beyond what the kingmax is rated pc150 3,3,2) ,then even at conservative settings.
this got me worried, as i thought my ram was dying... then i realised that asus does sneaky things.
most noticably, it sets the 3.3V line to a whopping 3.56 as default!
not the nicest of stability tweaks. specially for a "default" setting.
so i put a little jumper on giving me 5% extra voltage and all was nice again at CAS2.

also of interest is the difference between set core voltage & given voltage. on the asus it was +0.05... on the iwill its closer to 0.09!
so a 1.800V setting gives me 1.89...
i really hope this extra juice, and the (apparent) temp reduction allows me to reach the mythical 1425Mhz (9.5x150) stabally.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
question is... did the guy put a properamount of thermal goop on and seat it properly, or is the sensor further away from the core than the asus board? owners of iwill boards please contact me!
<b><A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com/cpu_temp_testing.htm" target="_new">The problem is that different manufacturers use different types/brands of probes, locate their probes in different areas of the socket, and use different formulas to calculate the temps. This results in significant variations from one motherboard to another, even with the same CPU. <font color=red>It is well documented for example, that Abit motherboards are on the optimistic side (reporting colder temps than actual), while Asus Motherboards are usually pessimistic (hotter than actual)</font color=red>. Another significant disadvantage to this method is that the temperature inside the socket is highly dependant upon the amount and direction of air flow outside of the socket area.</A></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
i personally like MSI, i really dislike ASUS had problams with that brand..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
wow.
very nice and HIGHLY informative...

wonder how much these results invalidate general HSF testing procedures.... specially when going from the standard 60mm coolers to the larger bulkier 80mm ones.

so i guess looking at both mobo's the temp probe IS in a different position, the old board WAS an asus that reportedly gives hotter readings AND the area directly around the core on the kk266 is particularly clean compared to the asus board, possibly giving better all round air flow.

we will see... tonite im going to try my core at my old "nemesis" speed 9.5x150=1425.
ive never got more than 30 minutes of running at full load with that. be interesting to see if the reseating HAS made is cooler. i hope so.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well i must say now i am over the usual teething troubles i ALWAYS have (modem conflict and upping the VIO voltage to get my ram to fun really fast).

and the Iwill KK266R-plus is a very nice beast indeed... and getting consistently better mem benchmarks due to the more settings available in the bios compared to the asus.

i did toast for 4 hours straight last nite, to keep Mr raystonn happy :). temps peaked at 47. rock stable.

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Hey,

so you found an IWILL in australia... I was looking aswell. I found a place (think it was scorptec) that sells them but at a HIGH price. $365 from memory.
The KK266 is what i was looking for aswell.. that's the VIA KT133A chipset board isn't it.

anyway, how does it compare in terms of performance at a set speed to the Asus. I'm looking at grabbing a Epox KTA3+ Pro for $245 from www.scorptec.com.au ...

what did you pay?? and where'd you go for it.

matt

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeouch!

im in melbourne
and a shop has all the variants in their supply depot...
can get you their name if you want.

anyway, i opted for the KK266R-plus.
thats the one with Raid (obviously) and improved onboard sound and bios tweaks.

installation was done same day as i watched.
its price was AU$315. (for those non auzzies reading this thats AUSTRALIAN dollars)
slightly more expensive than the raid equipped A7V133,
but about right for a high end athlon mobo.
and its alot cheaper than the price you were given!

email me at lhgpoobaa@hotmail.com if you want more info matt.

ride2work

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2001
Im running athlon 1.33 at 1.5 on an a7v133 and core temps are a steady 46 Deg (36 deg for motherboard) at full load using MBM5.

When I was using Asus probe, it was always reporting about 10 deg higher ie 56 deg at full load.

If you were using the asus probe that could explain why your temps were high before.

Kangaroos Can't Fly

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh... well i did use anal probe to begin with.
and the temps were even worse.
8-9C ABOVE those reported by the bios and motherboard monitor.

so i think my asus board naturally reports it hotter, and anal probe just made it look unnecessarly worse.

i DO have a decent cooler. fop32-1 with 4700rpm fan.

all thats left to do is to purchace the swiftech 462A and watch my temps drop thru the floor! :)