Asus Joins the Ivy Bridge PCIe 3.0 Motherboard Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Thank god geek-speak is the same in all languages, otherwise that German spec-sheet would have gone over my head...

Otherwise specs look great, and
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]Now all it needs is the Ivy Bridge...[/citation]

12 USB2 Ports and 4 USB3 Ports..... what ever happened to Com1 and Com2....?
Good old days, now I'm wondering what all do I need to stick into the USB ports.....
1 External HDD USB2
1 External HDD USB3
1 USB Scanner
1 USB Printer
2 USB Pen Drives
1 iPod
1 iPad
1 Nokia WP7
1 Wifi Dongle/3G Dongle
That makes a total of 10 Devices
I know I ain't going to be using them all at once, if I do, it's worst case scenario.
And they still have a total of 16 Ports.....

Now all they need to do is come out with a mobo that has only USB ports into which you can just plug the rest of the things, the processor& the gpu must be the only devices that aren't yet in the USB plugin form. the rest is already there.

[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Now all they need to do is come out with a mobo that has only USB ports into which you can just plug the rest of the things, the processor& the gpu must be the only devices that aren't yet in the USB plugin form. the rest is already there.[/citation]
LOL, reminds me of an article on Toms a very long time ago about a computer that had only 1 Ethernet, and a bunch of USB cables. Problem was that the BIOS at the time did not natively support USB mouse/keyboard, so the box was completely useless. lol, those were the days!

I want a pair of thunderbolt connectors, a pair of Gbit Ethernet, and a salvo of USB 2/3. I always bought mobos with com and parallel ports for that 'Just in case' assurance, but I haven't used either port in well over 8 years. Fire wire would be a plus, but even that is mostly useless these days

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]That makes a total of 10 DevicesI know I ain't going to be using them all at once, if I do, it's worst case scenario.And they still have a total of 16 Ports.....[/citation]

Yes because nobody has made a USB hub.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... under ASUS PCI-Express Gen3 Motherboard Specifications... there is ATi CrossfireX... ATi... are they really allergic to AMD? It's now AMD CrossFireX!!!

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]LOL, reminds me of an article on Toms a very long time ago about a computer that had only 1 Ethernet, and a bunch of USB cables. Problem was that the BIOS at the time did not natively support USB mouse/keyboard, so the box was completely useless. lol, those were the days!I want a pair of thunderbolt connectors, a pair of Gbit Ethernet, and a salvo of USB 2/3. I always bought mobos with com and parallel ports for that 'Just in case' assurance, but I haven't used either port in well over 8 years. Fire wire would be a plus, but even that is mostly useless these days[/citation]

Reminds me of a Win95 machine I purchased that came with a USB driver CD. It should have been labeled, "install at your own risk, back up all of your data, and have a spare HDD on-hand just in case".

Can't wait to see the enthusiast version of Asus pci-e 3.0 board. Maybe 4 pcie-3.0 x16 slots operating at x8,x8,x8,x8 with a little help from nVidia. I'm not buying, no way, just want to see it, n3rd pr0n... :D

G

So why are they calling these Ivybridge when they are using Sandybridge chipsets? Z68=Sandybridge, Z77=Ivybridge!

[citation][nom]munter78[/nom]So why are they calling these Ivybridge when they are using Sandybridge chipsets? Z68=Sandybridge, Z77=Ivybridge![/citation]

Probably in the same way that Intel made "i7" branded cpus for 1366 and 1156, and now even 1155. It's been known for awhile now that Z68 supports the new 1155 chips.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]munter78[/nom]So why are they calling these Ivybridge when they are using Sandybridge chipsets? Z68=Sandybridge, Z77=Ivybridge![/citation]

Actually the CPUs are sandy bridge and Ivy Bridge... the chipset LGA (1155) is called Cougar point

I thought asus were never going to release an 8x/8x board, they are so slow off the mark. Now all we need is for gigabyte to get their act together and put out a board with a proper UEFI instead of their hybrid bios crap, and there will be a good range of motherboards to chose from.

Lutfij

Titan
the article missed the fact that the maximus range of boards will also see this new boost in PCI-E slot...i'm beginning to wonder where these articles are being written up from and under whose watch? - this comming from noticing 3 month old news of transformers peripherals...

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]My question is when are they going to stop limiting the motherboards PCIE channels?[/citation]
When they need to.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
The MB manufacturers are aware that consumers try to protect themselves against the socket madness Intel is causing. Pity when the Ivy Bridge comes out, they all will have Ivy Bridge-specific MBs anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS