Question Asus K501UX cannot power up without being plugged in

Feb 18, 2019
  • As per tittle
  • Laptop is able to boot up for a few seconds but dies before it is fully booted up, even when battery is near 100%
  • I do not think it is a battery issue as I can use my laptop without it being plugged in as long as I boot it up while plugged in. That said, a battery diagnostic test shows that my battery has degraded to about half the initial capacity, and my laptop can last only about 2hrs without being plugged in
  • I have checked my power settings
  • I have read somewhere that resetting the BIOS settings to default may help, but I don't know how that might help, nor have I tried that yet (I don't have a link to source, sorry)

Let me know if there's anything else I can try. Cheers

Postingonce

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I have to say, that does sound like a telltale battery issue. But if you're adamant that it's not the battery, then I'd recommend getting another hard drive and installing your OS on that HD. If that solves the issue, then you can isolate the issue to a fatal error that crashes the computer while on battery power. If you're not worried about losing files, just reinstall your OS on your current HD, though if it's a faulty HD then the issue could persist.