Question Asus K550V (X550VX) laptop overheating

May 19, 2020
Hi,

I have Asus K550V (X550VX) laptop for few years now. CPU is Intel Core i5-6300HQ 2.30GHz up to 3.20GHz and graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 2GB GDDR5. I have 8GB of RAM DDR4 and Windows 10 installed. The problem is overheating while gaming. My laptop meets requirements for a lot of games for example GTA5 but overheats anyways while running the game and eventually it shuts down because of reaching 100C. I ran GTA5 on low settings also but getting the same problem. It also overheats on less needy games like NBA 2k13 an so on. Can anyone help and did anyone have the same problem with same or similar laptop?

Thanks in advance. :D

LyncIOO

Prominent
Mar 17, 2020
You could get a Laptop cooler or just have short gaming sessions. Im no expert on laptops but a laptop cooler could help since my brother also had temp. Issues but after he got a cooler masters laptop cooler he seems to play all day and all night.

Reactions: tcajic00
May 19, 2020
You could get a Laptop cooler or just have short gaming sessions. Im no expert on laptops but a laptop cooler could help since my brother also had temp. Issues but after he got a cooler masters laptop cooler he seems to play all day and all night.

Thank you, I will eventually buy a laptop cooler :D

May 19, 2020

So, I bought a laptop cooler, cleaned my fan and laptop interior from dust and changed the thermal paste both on graphics card and CPU and still having the same issue. Someone with similar problems?

May 19, 2020
I eventually found a solution and it's a stupid one as it always is haha. So the heatsink has a black tape taped over it and it covers it. I removed the tape and under it there was a huge amount of dust blocking the air going through the heatsink out of the laptop. Since there was that tape I never gave my attention to it thinking it was a ventilator problem or something but under that tape lays the problem. I cleaned it and now my laptop works fine. Played L.A. Noire for an hour and a maximum temperature is 55°C so it works perfectly. Hope this helps to others :D

Reactions: LyncIOO