[SOLVED] Asus "K8V Deluxe" dead? Hope not! Help, please. :)

Murph74

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
Hi everyone. I'm stumped on an apparent hardware issue that is likely not going to end well, but I wanted to explore all possible options before I give up completely, so I'm here to ask for some input/help that's beyond my experience. Data is safe and backed up, but the challenge of fixing runs deep in me. :)

I am running an old Asus K8V Deluxe motherboard with an Athlon 64 3200+, ATI Radeon AGP video card (unsure of exact model), 500GB IDE HD, USB Mouse, PS2 Keyboard and a single stick of 1GB ram. Everything else (that wasn't onboard like LAN and Audio), including CD/DVD drive, has been a USB device. This thing is my main computer and a trusted friend for the better part of 2 decades. About 10 days ago, trouble began. Probably just coincidence, but I had JUST tweaked some TCP/IP settings in WinXP Pro SP3 when it started.

The first symptom was a nearly-stable system that would consistently (but only) BSOD when USB media was accessed (CD, HD, Flash drive etc). Frequently the BSOD would reference USBPORT.SYS. So, I took to doing a RESTORE POINT thinking the TCP/IP changes were in play. No Restore Point would complete. Next step was to try a REPAIR install of XP pro SP3. That seemed to go ok based on status screens, but did NOT fix the problem. To continue troubleshooting, I grabbed my Knoppix discs (6.0.1 CD and a recent 8+ DVD build). Neither would boot now, after working fine in the past. They both would seemingly crash at "dev/src0" right after the USB message early in the boot cycle. (This was also after using 2 different USB CD/DVD drives on multiple ports, including the onboard ports with headers disconnected.) But I COULD get into the knoppix Memtest, which ran 100% for 12 hours, so I feel I've ruled out RAM as the issue. Checked CPU temp before and after as well, nothing seems out of the ordinary there.

Next, I checked the power supply, which appeared good on all voltages using a digital PS tester, then switched it out anyway to no change.
Then, I disconnected the IDE drive, no change. Multiple BIOS setting changes, disables and default settings saves (including a full CMOS clear and battery change out)-- no change.
Pulled out an old IDE CD/DVD rom drive from storage and connected it, and disabled USB support in BIOS. Got further (as far as a black screen with black X cursor that I couldn't move becasue I only had a USB mouse), but still KERNAL FAULTs (based on flashing Caps/Scroll) before I got to a useable OS using either Knoppix disc. Tested Knoppix disc on both USB CD drives on another system, they booted right up so I'm confident that isn't the issue. Ultimately, no change.

That's the whole story I think. Any suggestions on anything else to try? I'd love to get the satisfaction of getting this back up and running, but I'm out of ideas. Any tricks anyone can suggest or that I haven't tried? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Most likely, yes... a hardware issue. But I always like to begin troubleshooting with as clean a system software-wise as possible.

I think you may have to bite the bullet and accept the fact that the old system is beginning to die. Most likely the South Bridge chip, since it handles the USB interface.
If you were to remove the motherboard from the case and breadboard it with just CPU/cooler, RAM, PSU, gfx card, monitor, keyboard connected, and momentarily short the two pins that the start button would connect to for starting... you should be able to boot to BIOS. Then add something USB-related to boot from and start up again. If no joy, then I would have to say the old board is history.

Way past time for a new platform anyway...

Murph74

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
No onbaord video. It started as a USB-only issue, it would BSOD when only when I'd try to access USB storage. This had been an issue for a little over a week when ripping music CDs. The system with USB mouse functioned just fine on Tuesday for general office work, but when I tried to copy a file to a USB drive, the BSOD appeared (after it was recognized and appeared in explorer without issue-- it was very specifically after I clicked 'paste' to the USB drive). That was the last time I got to the desktop in XP, or in Knoppix 8.6 DVD or Knoppix 6.0.1 CD.

I did get 'closer' to desktop in Knoppix 6.0.1 when I disabled every on-board device including USB and audio, then used a IDE DVD drive to boot from. But it still seems to freeze up right after the "please do not remove medium until shutdown!" warning or the next line "INIT: version 2.86 booting" during boot. Given USB is deactivated in BIOS and no devices are plugged into USB ports, I'm comfortable thinking it's not a USB device issue. With LIVECD's not booting (which had in the past), I'm also confident it's not limited to an OS issue.

I'm not holding out much hope for this beast, but am still praying and open to suggestions! (As mentioned, my critical data is safe, but there are some seriously 'old' programs I'm not sure I still have the reinstall info for to put on a newer system. hahaha)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
When you fresh boot to Win XP, run CCleaner. Do the Clean and Registry portions both. I know your problrm seems to be hardware related, but CCleaner will eliminate a lot of software conflicts and Registry errors. That way you'll know you have a clean slate to begin with.

You might want to run a virus scan and a Malwarebytes scan for the same reason; to eliminate poorly written malware being the problem. That, and the fact that XP has no longer been protected by Microsoft with security updates.

Reactions: Murph74

Murph74

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
When you fresh boot to Win XP...

At this point, I can't get back into WinXP using the exiting install, not even safe mode. I could reinstall likely, but not sure if or where it would hang. "Random" system hanging is one of the goofy things I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around, even with Knoppix (a live boot Linux CD, if you aren't familiar)-- I can boot to a certain point, but it appears certain USB-related calls hang the system. Which is a head scratcher for me, because apparently BIOS is ok with seeing and using the USB controller to get to that point in the boot cycle, but when a software access is made, it craps out.

Wouldn't the failure of multiple "LiveCDs" (verified functioning on other systems using the same drives) confirm it's a hardware issue as it's not even accessing the Windows install, or is my logic wonky?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Most likely, yes... a hardware issue. But I always like to begin troubleshooting with as clean a system software-wise as possible.

I think you may have to bite the bullet and accept the fact that the old system is beginning to die. Most likely the South Bridge chip, since it handles the USB interface.
If you were to remove the motherboard from the case and breadboard it with just CPU/cooler, RAM, PSU, gfx card, monitor, keyboard connected, and momentarily short the two pins that the start button would connect to for starting... you should be able to boot to BIOS. Then add something USB-related to boot from and start up again. If no joy, then I would have to say the old board is history.

Way past time for a new platform anyway. XP is dangerously unsafe now that MS has quit supporting security updates for it. Unless you only use XP offline.

Solution