Question ASUS keyboard STOPS working after 10 min of gaming

Oct 20, 2019
Hi all,

so my problem goes like this. As long as everything stays on the Intel dedicated graphics (or cold CPU) i literally have no issues with my keyboard, BUT as soon as i start playing any game and engage the Nvidia graphics / CPU heats up my laptop keyboard (and backlight) just shuts off and no button reacts beside the POWER button.

What did i do thus far:
1. updated / reinstalled all CPU, BIOS, etc drivers to latest versions

2. Plugged in an external keyboard to see if it helps (writing here on the external keyboard)

3. Opened the laptop cleaned everything, un/replugged the keyboard didnt help ; disconnecting the battery from the MOBO helped one or twice (now not anymore), doing a CMOS reset,...

4. Uninstalling/reinstalling the ATK drivers (just got to my mind maybe just leave them uninstalled?)

How do i get my keyboard working again:
i drain the battery to approx 3-4% and send the laptop to sleep and wait for the battery to drain and then after some time the laptop resets (keyboard failure goes away - also power light shuts off)
Then I am able to use the keyboard again normally until i get the graphics/cpu heated up.

EDIT - forgot to mention the laptop is ASUS FX503VD

I would appreciate ANY input on how to solve this mystery. I read/searched online a lot but didnt yet managed to find a long term solution.

Thanks upfront! Also my apologies if i missed the appropriate thread.

Kind regards,
Kine_vu

Lutfij

Titan
You should disconnect the battery from the laptop and while it's disconnected from the wall socket/adapter, press down on the power button for 30 seconds. You should then reconnect the battery and then press down on the power button. Though I don't think this is a hardware issue. more like an OS conflict with drivers or an issue with teh OS itself.

Might it be possible to state which BIOS version you're currently on? Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? Did you install all the drivers found off Asus's support site, manually?

Oct 20, 2019
Hi Lutfij,

thanks for the answer and help. I will try to do what you have suggested asap. Just to be sure I understand you fully I do the 30 sec push disconnected battery and then after reconnecting the battery I do again the 30 sec push?

Answers to your questions:
BIOS Version/Date - American Megatrends Inc. FX503VD.308, 29-Apr-19

Windows - Win 10 Home ; version-1809 ; OS build - 17763.805

As far as i can remember, all the ASUS drivers I have reinstalled manually from their official site.

I have also tried to uninstall the keyboard driver itself from Device manager, and reset the laptop so it loads default drivers, but that didn't help either.
If it is of any relevance i have cloned my OS from the old hard drive which was in the laptop to a Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB, but this was approx 9 months ago.