[SOLVED] Asus Laptop FPS Drops / Overheating

Trac3

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019
Hello Everyone, my first post on this forum, hope it's in right section. I've had this laptop for nearly 2 years now and been having some issues. The Laptop Model is FX503VM-DM093T. Original Specs:

• Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • 128GB SSD + 1000GB HDD
  • GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

I thought of laying down the changes I've made to the laptop and what I've done so far, so you'd have a better understanding of the issue.

First thing I did when I got the laptop is install my SSD Drive, it's the 850 Samsung EVO 500GB, to replace the 1TB HDD that came with it. My next goal was to add RAM, because 8GB wasn't much, since I was aiming to mod my games. I bought the Crucial CT8G4SFD824A 8 GB 2400 MT/s. The Last thing that was bugging me was the OS. Win10 Home doesn't allow disabling some Windows features, I formatted the 128GB SSD and installed Win10 Pro on it instead. Now everything was working fine after all those changes, no issues whatsoever. The problems started about 3 weeks ago. I've been getting constant FPS drops on games that were working smoothly in the first months of having the laptop. Witcher 3 was running on High to Ultra settings with 60FPS and sometimes 50 in Novigrad and etc. The performance now is shocking, I have to decrease the graphics down to Medium or lower, it rarely hits 60FPS and usually runs at 45 max. Plus the annoying drops to 10 or 15 constantly. Wierdly enough it works smoothly when first launching the game and then starts showing issues after the first 10 Minutes. And the last issue is overheating, CPU can go up to 95, 65 idle; Load roughly 50%. GPU 60 idle and up to 95 when running, Load 100%.

At this Point I will list the things I've tried to fix the issue.

• Reinstalled a fresh copy of Win10 Pro.
  • Reinstalled all drivers.
  • Played around with Nvidia settings based on people's suggestions such as Vsync, Threaded Optimization, Tripple buffering, pre-rendered frames and so on (Feel free to suggest).
  • Made sure I was running on Maximum Performance in Power settings and Nvidia aswell.
  • Ran msconfig to set maximum processors and RAM, changed it back, since no change.
  • Made sure I have no unnecessary non-Microsoft services running.
  • Tried running with Geforce Experience recommended settings and without.
  • Uninstalled Gefore Experience.
  • Opened up the Laptop to do a thorough heat sink clean.
  • Cleaned off and reapplied new thermal paste.
  • Scanned all drives for malware and viruses.
  • Disabled GameDVR in regedit.
  • Set Processor Power Management to 99% (This did seem to fix the issue but eventually I will get the same FPS Drops and Temperature doesn't change).
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll be checking this thread often, hoping maybe some kind soul will have a solution to this issue. Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

Solution
You could try Intel xtu and under volt it.
It will help with the heat issue.

In feburary I bought the asus fx504gm-es74.
Intel i7-8750h, 256gb m.2, 1tb seagate firecuda, 16gb 2666 single stick just replaced with G.skill ripjaws 16gb 2x8 2666, nvidia gtx 1060 6gb.

I was very sceptical of the undervolting at first but it has helped alot.

I have noticed on mine that there is a like power throttling but dosen't do it that much since undervolting to -0.155.
If you go this route
I haven't found a setting yet to undervolt at startup, so you will have to do it manually.
It does stay for several boots but goes back to stock settings on mine as it could be shut down a week at a time.

And i made a laptop cooler from parts i had around and...
You could try Intel xtu and under volt it.
It will help with the heat issue.

In feburary I bought the asus fx504gm-es74.
Intel i7-8750h, 256gb m.2, 1tb seagate firecuda, 16gb 2666 single stick just replaced with G.skill ripjaws 16gb 2x8 2666, nvidia gtx 1060 6gb.

I was very sceptical of the undervolting at first but it has helped alot.

I have noticed on mine that there is a like power throttling but dosen't do it that much since undervolting to -0.155.
If you go this route
I haven't found a setting yet to undervolt at startup, so you will have to do it manually.
It does stay for several boots but goes back to stock settings on mine as it could be shut down a week at a time.

And i made a laptop cooler from parts i had around and a trip to home depot.
So cooling and und-volting made a big difference.

While reading on my issues someone mentioned turning off turbo boost but i didn't do it.

Hope something here may help.

Reactions: Trac3
Solution

Trac3

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019
Thanks for the quick response Crosslhs82x2, I will try ThrottleStop and see if that helps.

EDIT: Undervolting actually made a big impact! My temp has gone down to a stable 75, sometimes 80. Much better than previously. Big thanks to Crosslhs82x2 for the helpful info! My FPS is alot more stable as well. Will do a longer session to see if there's anymore issues.

Last edited:
Good to hear it's better.
I have never used throttle stop so i can't tell you anything about it other then reading some threads where changes made with it can be hard to get reverted back to stock settings.

You might want to also look into a good laptop cooler.
I made mine from 2x 120mm fans,
A sheet of plexiglass/lexan, a fan y splitter,
A variable motor speed control. And a 50/60 ac/dc power adapter charger.
And some 2in and 2 1/2in nuts /bolts.
It is elevated off whatever surface i have it on so it gets plenty of airflow.

Apr 4, 2020
Thanks for the quick response Crosslhs82x2, I will try ThrottleStop and see if that helps.

EDIT: Undervolting actually made a big impact! My temp has gone down to a stable 75, sometimes 80. Much better than previously. Big thanks to Crosslhs82x2 for the helpful info! My FPS is alot more stable as well. Will do a longer session to see if there's anymore issues.

Hi, I'm facing the same issue and it is very annoying. FPS keeps dropping from good 100FPS to 20. I almost the same specs. With a GL503VM. Can you help me out with the undervolting?