Asus Laptop From eBay - Advice

Jun 28, 2020
Hey,
I recently brought a second Asus F553M laptop from eBay for £90, it has an Intel Celeron N2815, 4GB RAM and a 750GB HDD, the full specs can be found on the ASUS website.

It was described as...
hardly used in very good condition

And...
All working perfectly

In the pictures it does look in very good condition and the seller probably isn't very knowledgeable about computers as it was just listed as an Asus Laptop, no model number or specs apart from Windows 8, has a webcam and original charger.

So when it arrived, the first thing I noticed is that it has a screw missing from the bottom and on the screen is little scratch about 5cm, you can't see it when it's turned on though, so I wasn't too bothered about that.

Anyway it all seems to work fine but then I noticed some dead pixels on the screen...

pixels.jpg

Is it unreasonable to complain about this?

What would be a reasonable price for it in terms of value with the dead pixels? I can live with them but I'm worried that over time it will get worse.

Thanks in advance,
Becky

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hey,
I recently brought a second Asus F553M laptop from eBay for £90, it has an Intel Celeron N2815, 4GB RAM and a 750GB HDD, the full specs can be found on the ASUS website.

It was described as...

And...

In the pictures it does look in very good condition and the seller probably isn't very knowledgeable about computers as it was just listed as an Asus Laptop, no model number or specs apart from Windows 8, has a webcam and original charger.

So when it arrived, the first thing I noticed is that it has a screw missing from the bottom and on the screen is little scratch about 5cm, you can't see it when it's turned on though, so I wasn't too bothered about that.

Anyway it all seems to work fine but then I noticed some dead pixels on the screen...

pixels.jpg

Is it unreasonable to complain about this?

What would be a reasonable price for it in terms of value with the dead pixels? I can live with them but I'm worried that over time it will get worse.

Thanks in advance,
Becky

I would request a refund. Expert or not, these are problems that were not disclosed to you when you made the purchase.

What it's worth to you is rather up to you.

Jun 18, 2020
Hey there,

The fact that the product was described as "hardly used in very good condition" and "all working perfectly" on eBay and now you finding dead pixels on the screen obviously means you have been cheated. I don't know whether the £90 you paid for the same is worth it! Problems such as this one tend to get worse over time. So, I strongly recommend you go for a refund; but, at the end of the day, it is up to you!

Hope you get the issue resolved!

Jun 28, 2020
Hi
Thank you both for your replies,

Unfortunately the seller is refusing to accept a return,

I forgot to mention in my first post that the seller sent the laptop in a bag and only wrapped the charger in bubble wrap so there is a chance it could have got damaged in transit.

Though I have noticed on one of the sellers images, if you look closely you can see a little bright point on the screen. (there's actually a couple of them on the screen.

s-l1600.jpg

Some new bad news is that the dead pixels in the photos I added in my first post, have now got a bit bigger and the laptop has only been switched on for 20 minutes since taking those photos.

I will just have to wait until eBay lets me ask them to step in and see if they can resolve the problem.

Becky

Shipping damage, unless the box was also damaged in transit, is on the shipper to pack it properly. Were there clear pictures of the screen of the laptop? For the price it's cheap, but without noting the screen issues the system was not properly described, eBay will pretty certainly side with you on this. Just make sure you save the listing with screenshots to provide proof that the damage was not disclosed.

Jun 28, 2020
Hi

These are the listing pictures, you can't really see any damage on the screen there apart from the little white bright dot that I attached to the last post.

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

The seller has now offered a £20 refund, but given I've not used it for very long and the dead pixels had got slightly bigger that last time I turned it on, I'm worried that I'll have to pay for a new screen shortly.