[SOLVED] Asus laptop keeps freezing

gregmc311

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I've been having trouble with my laptop freezing randomly. It used to happen every couple of weeks but now has gotten worse; freezing almost every day. What happens is that the screen just freezes with a fan usually kicking into overdrive right after. I can't do anything except to do a hard reset. I assumed it was a overheating problem and decided to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU which I went into here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341629-28-cooler-heatsink-questions

I noticed immediate results with it not getting as hot as it used to and the temperatures read were about 10 degrees cooler for both cpu and gpu, however the gpu benefits weren't quite as good as the cpu. It seems the gpu will get somewhat hot while the cpu generally stays cool, but like I said, both saw around 10 degree benefit while idle. So before it was CPU at 50-55 degrees and GPU at 58-65 degrees idle or normal use, and now it is usually the CPU at 42 degrees and the GPU at 49 degrees. I used speedfan to get those temps.

I'm assuming the issue is somewhere else, but I guess I could have applied the thermal paste not as well as I could have for the gpu (or both) and it still causes it to lock up, but I figured the freezing happen a lot less frequently if that was the case, since the temps are so much better, if anything it has gotten a little worse.

I first noticed several months ago, it never happened that often and I just figured it was being buggy, then I noticed it was usually hot when it happened and it took me awhile to reapply the thermal paste. I guess I'll try restoring it and see if that helps but I really didn't want to. Any suggestions would help, thanks.

Computer: Asus x83vm-x1 N80vm

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DirectX DirectX 11.0
Date / Time 2012-07-19 / 13:44

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2266 MHz (8.5 x 267)
Motherboard Name Asus N80Vm Series Notebook
Motherboard Chipset Intel Cantiga PM45
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Qimonda 64T256020EDL2.5C2 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: Qimonda 64T256020EDL2.5C2 [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type AMI (08/12/08)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS (1024 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS (1024 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
Monitor AU Optronics B141EW05 V0 [14.1" LCD]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter nVIDIA HDMI @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3]
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC663 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
IDE Controller Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
IDE Controller Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
IDE Controller Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
Storage Controller Virtual CloneDrive
Disk Drive ST9320320AS (320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual CD-ROM)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L (DVD+R9:6x, DVD-R9:6x, DVD+RW:8x/8x, DVD-RW:8x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:8x, CD:24x/24x/24x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Solution
i have a 4 year old asus that used to keep freezing till yesterday...i reset my laptop to factory settings by hitting f9 when it starts up (lost all my files and information, so backup ur files beforehand), but it was still freezing..so i did a disk defragmentation, and it seems to have done the trick...go to window start (bottom left screen), accessories, then system files, then disk defragmentation, and it should work..p.s.: asus laptops are programmed to break down 3+ months after the warranty expires haha..kinda cheap if u ask me

gregmc311

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Generally cpu is 42 and gpu is 49 give or take 2 degrees. When it locks up is difficult because I have to reboot to get the temps. I would check the BIOS but hell if I can find out where the temp is in that one. For some reason, I can't find the temperature readings in this BIOS like I can in others.

When I finally get the temp reading, the cpu is around the same and gpu is probably around 55-60 degrees.

gregmc311

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Before it locks up, there is no significant heat increase that I can see or have seen in the temp. readings. I checked every so often while using it and the temps are usually lower like 42 for cpu and 49-51 for gpu.

G

if the cpu reach the termination temps shutdows it dosen't freeze he seems to know very well what is doing.

it looks to me as an overclock problem mostly is nice to download cpuz just to give me infos i need.

gregmc311

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

Do you mean I'm getting wrong temperatures or that the sensor is causing it to freeze somehow?

I guess that could be the case, but just from touch I can tell laptop is not nearly as hot as it used to be. I think the sensors are reading the correct temp.

gregmc311

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

I'll look into it. I was under the impression I had to overclock it myself for the cpu to do that. I haven't changed any settings or taken any measures to overclock it myself.

G

Then try a memory test in boot just to see if your dimms are ok.

jay_nar2012 the link you post, more or less, saying the same with me in here will you let me help him or not? He seems to know very well what he is doing open the laptop, etc and in his first post he gave the -10 temprature after the new thermal paste applyed!! Yet YOU are continued to ask questions about the temprature!?

If the CPU reach the termination temprature shutsdown it dosen't freeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i'm pretty sure he can google the problem himself if he likes.

gregmc311:

1) download cpuz so will be able to give us information about your memory timings in bios.
2) run the windows memory diagnostic tool to test the system memory, few passes at boot, to see if the problem is HARDWARE related first before we start checking the sofftware.
3) try prime95 test to see if the probem is from your cpu
4) run a furmark test just to see if the problem is related with your graphic card

if we don't check the hardware first we can't be sure for nothing and all these ? Assuming all the hardware IS in place cables, push the dimms down a bit, etc seens you open it....

Ps the problem can also be related a failre of a hard disk returning after the power save mode is goog to check the disk also.

gregmc311

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I finally tried all these but couldn't see a problem running any of the tests and all the hardware seems to be in place. The freezing persists, and the only common element that might be happening is that the freezing happens when a fan vent is partially or completely blocked. That's weird because the vent is somewhat blocked during use to due to how I situate the laptop, but I never had a problem with that in the several years I had it before the freezing started, so it may have nothing to do with blocking the vent.

G

Slowdown to freezing can happen from overheating to the cpu while in load but you can see it if you remove the cpu cooler! Try a prime95 + furmark and block your incoming utill you see a slowdown to the freeze point.

The dust sometimes can get in and slowly cover like a blanket the incoming fins or the motherboard. Get your laptop to a gas station and tell them to use compressed air all over the motherboard the fins and any incoming cap you can.

it may solve your problem.

Just-Nathalie

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Do you have a solution yet?

My Asus laptop did the same and finally I send a mail to Asus. I recieved a long e-mail back with an explanation and a link to a driver for ASUS Smart Gesture. I installed the drivr and normally I get the freezes all over the day and now they are gone :D

paraddox

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
i have a 4 year old asus that used to keep freezing till yesterday...i reset my laptop to factory settings by hitting f9 when it starts up (lost all my files and information, so backup ur files beforehand), but it was still freezing..so i did a disk defragmentation, and it seems to have done the trick...go to window start (bottom left screen), accessories, then system files, then disk defragmentation, and it should work..p.s.: asus laptops are programmed to break down 3+ months after the warranty expires haha..kinda cheap if u ask me

Solution

myystik

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014

OK, this solved my problem with ASUS G74sx. I know this driver is not for this particular model, but I was desperate. The G74sx, from new kept freezing [complete system freeze] after a day and a half. Lately it was after 6 hrs. I installed the drivers mentioned above, rebooted and ran for 7 days without problem. Rebooted and ran another 7 days no problem. I would say this is the only solution that works after trying every suggestion found on the net, and ROG forums. Here is the only real solution after 3 years of agony.
Thanks to the poster for the solution!

Aug 23, 2019
i had same issue , at tech service they said its because of the broadcom wifi card

they took it out and laptop didnt freeze anymore since then.

You can replace it if you still need wifi or simply remove and use lan cable