ASUS laptop Linksys E2000 Wireless router N problem

mzwang

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hello,
I have an ASUS with an Intel i5 processor, 4GB memory, running Windows 7. I bought a Linksys (Cisco) E2000 wireless router and tried to set up the wireless networking. Unfortunately, I cannot set up the wireless network. I can run a line from the cable modem to the router and another line directly to my laptop - that gives me internet connectivity. However, when I remove the direct line, I lose all internet connectivity. My wireless card does receive the signal from the router (excellent signal strength). But there is no connection to the internet. I have repeated the install procedure for the router software, consulted with the minimal Linksys support and tweaked router settings as much as I felt comfortable. Yet nothing lets me connect to the internet.
I was told by the linksys c.s. that I needed to update my wireless drivers. I did that and no change. I could turn off encryption, but that is really not even a satisfactory short term solution. I was thinking of buying a wireless adapter, but am loathe to spend another $75 on something I should have already purchased. Any suggestions from those out there with a similar configuration or issue? I am stumped.

When you see that excelent signal strength message, click to go connect or to to Network and Sharing Centre and input the security key you can see when you're cabled to the router. There are more details in the Sticky Post at the top of tis sub Forum on how to find that key.

pimpsome

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I had an issue with "Unidentified network" and After spending an entire day trying every trick that is on the net to allow my Linksys e2000 to connect wirelessly to my HP with Vista 64 and an Atheros AR5007 network card. I found that the issue was that the driver update utility didnt find the newest driver. This site has a driver that once installed allowed me to connect wirelessly.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=1847703&swItem=ob-82549-1&mode=4&idx=1

So it wasnt Vista after all! It was Cisco and HP not updating the Atheros device driver

adila

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Hi,

I had the same problem. One fine day, my Asus laptop cannot be connected to my wireless network at home. It says that the wireless setting in my laptop doesnt support my router's network or something like that. I tried for days re-setting the router. But the problem persists. The funny thing was that my brother's laptop could be connected to the wireless network at home. Thus, I could only surf the net on my laptop using manual connection.

Finally, I managed to solve the problem and it turned out to be an easy step.

- Right click on the wireless network that you want to connect to
- Click Diagnose
- From there they will guide you on the available options that you can do to rectify the problem
- It would somehow lead you to a section about the wireless security setting
- For my case, I simply had to re-enter the password for my wireless connection.
- For the encrytion tab, there were 2 options (i.e TKIP and AES). I simply changed from the original option of Aes to TKIP =]

Problem solved...Well, you might had already solved yours. All the best in maintaining your laptop =]