[SOLVED] Asus laptop not reading hdd after ssd install

Feb 23, 2022
So as the title reads i just installed a new nvme SSD into my Acer aspire 5 (A515-52-51TT) my method was:

Make boot able windows 11 USB
Remove old 16gb ssd, leaving the 1tb HDD installed
Install new 256gb SSD
Boot up, installed windows, updated everything
HDD now not showing up in bios or device manager

I removed the new ssd and put back in the old 16gb and it works fine as it was before, i'm able to see the hardrive and all the files on it but for some reason i can't on the new one :/

Any ideas? I've already googled a fair bit but i can't seem to find anyone with my exact problem

Solution
I doubt the 16GB drive is an SSD, It's more likely to be an optane drive which is used to make a raid type connection with the HDD to act as a high speed buffer .

Boot up with the old drive install and bring up Intel Rapidstor or Intel Rapid Storage technology and in the Optane tab you will find the disable button. Once you reboot you should be good to go with installing your SSD.

popatim

Titan
I doubt the 16GB drive is an SSD, It's more likely to be an optane drive which is used to make a raid type connection with the HDD to act as a high speed buffer .

Boot up with the old drive install and bring up Intel Rapidstor or Intel Rapid Storage technology and in the Optane tab you will find the disable button. Once you reboot you should be good to go with installing your SSD.

Solution
Feb 23, 2022
I imagine this would've worked but when i swapped it back to the optane one my laptop went so slow it was unusable for ages! I just ended up taking out the hdd and using the new ssd, thank you anyway popatim!

TRENDING THREADS