ASUS laptop screen not always stable

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
It's about an ASUS's laptop screen that I would like your assistant on the problem.

I have uploaded a video on the problematic screen. It seems the screen is not always stable.

If the screen has the picture, and not working on the laptop, everything seems fine (not always). But, if with the picture full on the screen, and e.g. I go to start working on the keyboard, or for example I want with the laptop on to go to another place (e.g. from one room to another), or move the screen a little forward or backward for a little degrees, then the image can come to these problems:

-total black screen

-total white screen

-on the left side (about 1/3 of the screen) vertical lines and the rest (2/3 of the screen) white

as you will see on the video:

View: https://youtu.be/3Jv71QiDJk4

If with image on the above problems, I reverse the screen back to about vertical position (or some degrees vertical+/vertical- ), then the image comes back. But, when it comes back, when I try work on keyboard (or not necessary work, if I leave it for some seconds), it may start flicker.

On your opinion, what is the problem?

Thank you for your time.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
My opinion is that the video ribbon cable is loose. If you are comfortable with opening up the laptop and know how to do it safely, I recommend removing and reinserting the ribbon cable securely.

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Thank you for your reply.

I opened laptop, and disconnected and reseated cable from both sides: on motherboard and back of screen. But the problem remains. If I try move the screen forward or backwards, the picture is gone in one of the ways described.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Thank you for your reply.

I opened laptop, and disconnected and reseated cable from both sides: on motherboard and back of screen. But the problem remains. If I try move the screen forward or backwards, the picture is gone in one of the ways described.
Strange. It definitely looks like a physical problem, though. Did you notice any tears on the video cable?

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
No. There are no tears on the whole cable route.
I would be happy to see other ideas, but I think the connections on that cable just aren't good anymore or that the backlight connection is bad (I think that is included in the same cable),or the port either on the back of the screen or on the motherboard. The fact that it happens when you move the laptop's lid is a clear indication to me of it being the physical connection, not software. The only way to check that is by using it with a new video cable or one that is known to be working correctly.

Reactions: johnyb98

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Finally I purchased a new video cable and made the replacement. Now everything is fine. Image stable, video and sound, everything is working fine.
Thank you for your answers!

Reactions: mrmike16