Asus laptop stuck in Automatic Repair loop.

Jose1324

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I was just doing my regular stuff, then I go to eat breakfast. When I come back my ASUS laptop went into this

Solution
Hold down F9 as you turn it on. Choose refresh from the following menu. You will lose your software but the laptop will work. Tried it. Took awhile to re-install everything it removed but at least it leaves a handy list with clickable links. Good luck!

Jaxxy

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Hold down F9 as you turn it on. Choose refresh from the following menu. You will lose your software but the laptop will work. Tried it. Took awhile to re-install everything it removed but at least it leaves a handy list with clickable links. Good luck!

Solution

AxDSan92

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Thank you very much!!! YOU SAVED MY LIFE ! all this hassle trying to get the system running and everything I was doing was waste of efforts! I even did pressed F11 like a crazy and it didn't worked...!!! Finally after hours of searching I came across your answer here! HAD to login to personally say thanks!!!

Ryanwato

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

So I would lose windows 8 and everything

Daran Edmonds

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I was able to take my hard drive out, hook it into a hard drive enclosure (Vantec NexStar), and plug it into my work computer running Windows 7 Premium. Once I plugged it in and tried to access my files, a window popped up saying there some problems with some files. It had two check boxes: one offering to scan/fix some files, and another offering to scan for corrupted files and POSSIBLY fix them.

I checked both. It took more than an hour to work all the way through my hard drive. After it was done I could access files on my original hard drive. I was going to then copy all the files to another external hard drive but wondered what would happen if I just put my now fixed(?) hard drive back into the original machine and turned it on. Well it booted right up just like old times! Files appear intact.

I'm very happy because I was going to laboriously copy all my files to another external drive, put my hard drive back in and then do the F9 Restore (to original factory drive). But Windows 7 on my work computer did a good enough job fixing whatever the problem was and saved me further hassle.

In all of my research into this Auto Repair Loop issue I haven't seen anyone suggest that attaching your hard drive to another computer (via usb) running Windows might be able to fix the issue; using another computer to diagnose and fix your not-working computer. This was a cheap fix without losing my data. Hope this is able to help someone in the future.

gudjbr

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
I have the exact same problem on my asus laptop but when pressing F9 it simply says "Wait" and then goes into black screen and later into blue screen with "Your computer ran into a problem" (i.e. instead of saying "preparing automatic repair", then black screen, then blue screen). Does anyone possibly know a solution? Would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

gudjbr

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Anyone?? Please? Tried f2 now and that actually worked so far as I got into the BIOS. Restored settings but still the automatic repair loop comes up over and over and over again.... Please help!!

TerraNova238

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
well if it does happen again make sure you have important files in a flash drive so you can restore it into the PC or Laptop.

erob473

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Morning all, I have had the same problem this morning on a 3 day old Asus Tablet, hold volume down and start and two options appear, windows boot manager and Bios etc, if you choose the Windows boot manager (yes this can be done with out a keyboard by using the volume +- and windows button) ask for the retain setting and refresh or something or other, basically restores windows 8 to an operational state and brings you back to first time start up but retains your apps etc.

KittyPurrzMFC

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

I'm having this exact problem, too. f9 doesn't work for me. f2 will bring me to bios but I cant get the computer into safe mode. Please help!

Doongka

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Me too, happened last night after completing a Windows Update. Coincidence?

Demarkus Tolbert

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

DefiniteSBC

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

How will I recover the files that I want to save???? I don't mind my laptop being wiped out, I just want some important files to be saved. :(

JennaH3482

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Try pushing F8 right before and right as the "Push F2 for BIOS Set Up" message pops up on the bottom of the screen. I accidently hit it and it went to a new screen I've never seen but it had Reset options and they actually work. I was completly shocked because my fiance had got the idea to choose to wipe it all clean and use windows ten 64 bit on our daughters windows xp mini asus... needless to say the mini was too small and incompatible at the time he tried to flash it and it kept throwing up code after code!!As soon as I fixed one code,another one would pop up (smh) So in my frustration I stumbled upon F8....

Keva__

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

My screen went right back to Recovery and the only three options I had were "Press Enter to Try Again", "Press F8 for Startup Settings" and "Pressed ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings" Help?

Michael_456

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

Louie B

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

I had the same problem this is what worked for me, disconnect the power and the battery, wait a few and restart it will say the same thing and then do diagnostic it will then give you options to start Windows do diagnostic or restart choose start Windows, problem fixed

Farhan Aqil

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

Fiona_4

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

f9 DOES NOT WORK THERE IS NO REFRESH BUTTON ON IT YOU CAN EITHER ENABLE REBOOT OR DISABLE REBOOT SO F9 CLEARLY IS NOT THE SOLUTION

pchareka7

Prominent
May 12, 2017
I had the same problem and I turned off my laptop by holding the power button. I then held down the F2 button while I hit the power button, and released the power button while still holding onto the F2 key. Once the BIOS screen showed up ( a blue screen with the computers basic info) I navigated to the save and exit window, went down to "don't save and exit" option and hit enter (I didn't want to mess with any of my computers pre-assigned configurations). After that, my laptop went back to the ASUS loading page, turned black for a bit, then turned black with the loading circle visible, then went black again and then WORKED!! Sounds real finicky but I think it is just a matter of getting your computer out of that initial boot stage that solves the problem. Hope this helps!

tapiwanashekazembe

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017