Asus Launches 5 GeForce GTS 250 Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
My 8800 is just so old and dated, i think its time to upgrade it. This GTX 250 sounds like the perfect card....

+1 nVidia naming strategies!

seriously come up with new gpus and stop renaming them
some new builders will far for the naming thing while they could have better value card like ATI
and no im not a fanboy im just saying ati won this time

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]My 8800 is just so old and dated, i think its time to upgrade it. This GTX 250 sounds like the perfect card.... +1 nVidia naming strategies![/citation]
Seriously, its a much better choice to go for the hd4870 512mb which just dropped down to the same price of this card at $150. This card is just an old 9800+ with a new name. Asus just fell into a deep hole with this junky series.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
i dont mind the rebranding who knows it may have better performance then the older one!

but the renaming does get confusing but when you look at computers as a hole everything is confusing!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
This article was seriously written too quick and without any editing. No such thing as gtx 9800+ and Fary Cry 2 doesnt exist either.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
So, after all the outrage on the net over the past few days, about how they were committing fraud with this renaming scheme to fool the idiots of the world, it really is just Nvidia's attempt to simplify the naming scheme of their cards?

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
[citation][nom]DXrick[/nom]So, after all the outrage on the net over the past few days, about how they were committing fraud with this renaming scheme to fool the idiots of the world, it really is just Nvidia's attempt to simplify the naming scheme of their cards?[/citation]

Um... Yes, if that makes you feel ok about the new naming scheme. :)

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
This is pathetic from Nvidia, first they renamed this chip from 8800 into 9800 and now to gtx 250, they're dragging down the evolution of graphics card.

I want to see what idiot is going to buy such a old chip.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]My 8800 is just so old and dated, i think its time to upgrade it. This GTX 250 sounds like the perfect card.... +1 nVidia naming strategies![/citation]
I think this was meant to be sarcasm?

8800GTX and 9800GTX were pretty much the same… and now they rename it to GTX250. They are three cards almost identical.

StupidRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]This article was seriously written too quick and without any editing. No such thing as gtx 9800+ and Fary Cry 2 doesnt exist either.[/citation]

:D i only noticed it after you mentioned it.. they're probably talking about a chinese remake, furry crai 2-san

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The problem is when they maintain two product lines that overlap. Nvidia should have done this from the start, rather than releasing the 9800 GTX+ AFTER the GTX 280 had already come out. They started a new product line while they were upgrading the old line. There never should have been a 9-series in the first place. They only created it to look like they had new offerings to compete with the ATI 4000 series.

Nvidia hasn't been able to create a legit low-end 2xx series cards. In fact, the entire GTX 2xx line-up is only a single chip. The 260, 280, 285, and 295 are all the same chip. The only difference is clock-speed, included memory, and newer cards went through a die-shrink. Nvidia never bothered to create a new budget or economy line from this chipset. Therefore, their only option to stay competitive is to rebrand old technology, they have no new technology to market.

Nvidia just sat on their thumbs for too long when ATI wasn't able to compete, and now that ATI has better options, they're caught playing catch-up.

Tech-Boy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I would like to see Nvidia drop it's prices even more, in order to compete with the 4870's price drop.

Don't buy anything less than the gtx 260 core 216 from Nvidia as the 4870 will beat them all for $149

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Yes, Nvidia hasn't offered a whole lot of new stuff lately, but they really don't have to as long as the old stuff (which competes quite well in terms of performance) competes well with the DAAMIT pricing structure. That is they don't "have to" make anything new as long as they don't think DAAMIT will leapfrog them in performance.

1raflo

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]This article was seriously written too quick and without any editing. No such thing as gtx 9800+ and Fary Cry 2 doesnt exist either.[/citation]

LOL totally true, also look at the title "Asus Launches 5 GeForce GTS 250 Cards".

BTW yeah great "article" (scoff) ... wait, is that a nvidia add I see on the right ?

credibility plummets...

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008

LOL yea it was supposed to be sarcasm. :lol:

I guess im just not being blunt enough... :p

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
^cause noobs who know nothing about computer and just want a new graphics card to play WoW are bound to look at the specs between every card, understand what they mean, and determin that those 3 cards are the same and act accordingly...

G

Did anyone notice it says GTS 250 instead of GTX in the headline? This is another really badly edited article.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
GTS 250 is using 512 bit memory instead of 9800+'s 256 bit according to Kevin and Tuan.

It performance increase should be similar to 4850 to 4870.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Hi guys, my apologies for the incorrect spelling of GTS/GTX. I've fixed them now. If you can allow me for a brief moment, because of the very fast pace of news, often times the articles don't go through the deep editing processes that larger hardware reviews go through. Consequently, sometimes mistakes, like typos or in some cases, factual errors, are introduced. We're doing our best to watch out for these for sure.

Again, my personal apologies to all who are reading.

I can tell that some of you are very enthusiastic about what you read, and demand better and better quality--I'm with you on that. So the criticism (and sometimes flames) are welcomed. :)

Thanks / Tuan

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Why would nVidia spend hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, of dollars in a slow economy in order to develop a new chip that gets the same performance as the old G92? I think y'all are being a little unreasonable in your nVidia-bashing. It makes sense, if they're going to keep the chip so they can compete on the lower price points, that they would rename it to align it with the new naming scheme.

I'm really not concerned about the non-gurus upgrading from 8800GTS 512 cards to GTS 250s.
1. Anyone that buys a graphics card more than once a year should be technically savvy enough to look up benchmarks before buying a new card.
2. I didn't see anyone complaining about how people might want to upgrade from, say, a 8800GT to a 9600GT because it has a higher number.

I think that some of you guys, for whatever reason, have a bone to pick with nVidia and are using this to spew your fanboyism everywhere. I will continue to buy the best bang for the buck, regardless of brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.