Asus Launches 'Dark Knight' Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
FAIL. I can live with the air not getting pumped out the back, but I can't live without a shroud. Cards need to look tight and have full enclosures if we're going to be paying this much for them. Many enthusiast that would be interested in these cards also have side windows and care about aesthetics. To have such an oversight on the most enthusiast oriented cards Asus offers is just unintelligible.

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Despite what mr negative up there has said the cards look pretty sweet.

Although im more into the cheap brand cards made good with 3rd party coolers lol

G

FAIL indeed... its just a naming scheme its not even like higher clocks... i mean there are already ASUS cards that are oced... what crap

however it is asus... although they are reliable... they suck...

figure that one out :p

G

Who's charts are these... I'm pretty sure (maybe it's just me) that the EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512M is only supposed to have 512MB of DDR5 not 1GB as stated in the Video Memory section.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Attempting to cash in on the `Dark Knight' hype? Not cool.

A real enthusiast isn't going to keep even that default cooling option. This is more aimed at the same target group as the `smiling bob' commercials.

Fail. No Batman logo. Don't they know that Batman is the Dark Night lol. Seriously though I would have liked to see higher mem speeds on the TOP card though, especially considering the Diamond Black cards have speeds of 800/1100(4400 effective) for the core/mem.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
FAIL too. power consumption of these cards is worth two quad processors.
double slot design is still the best even if not as effective compared with heatpipes. we certainly don't want to add heat inside a case.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
now, if the cooling block was colored in the darkish color the zalman, 9700 for am2 is, and the board was black with gold like the old soundblaster live, or everything in purple with leds or something like my old epox motherboard ... then it'd been worth a closer look. Can't say having the dualslot cooling removed from a 4870 is very intriguing to me though.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Batman is the dark knight? The only one? I think dark knights existed long before batman was dreamed up. By the look of it the dark knight label has nothing to do with batman though it is a bit misleading... as most people at this time identify "dark knight" with batman.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I agree its a fail. Most cards now do use heat pipes. My Diamond HD3870 does with a dual slot cooler.

The question here is where is the air going? The way the fan is setup air is being pushed onto the fins and being dispersed anywhere within the case. This will create larger ambient temperature which is why the dual slot solution is best, it takes cool air in and pushes hot air out

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS