Asus Launches First Motherboard with Thunderbolt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvRommelvS

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Isn't thunderbolt more applicable to video cards than motherboards? I don't want to run a bunch of monitors off the Intel HD4600.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Western Digital has a nice 2TB external hard drive that will work with this. After a quick search I saw it listed for $890 bucks! I think I'll wait until Thunderbolt 2 devices come down in price...

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
The fastest consumer level SSD are in the 4 Gb/s ballpark, so this make a lot of sense. Oh wait, USB 3.0 provides 5 Gb/s. So there is nothing I can think of to attach to a motherboard that needs that kind of bandwidth.

jojomexi

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
arent SSD's at the 6GB/s mark? and although USB3.0 is fastER, its still not fassssst. i transfer a couple gigs of music and it still takes like 5-10 minutes.

lp231

Splendid
Thunderbolt can be use as mini displayport, but mini displayport cannot be use as Thunderbolt.
Thunderbolt looks exactly like mini displayport, it's really confusing to tell which is which just by looking at it.
If you want a board with TB, you'll have to look make sure to look at the specs.

Thunderbolt is going to remain a niche product until they get the prices of peripherals and cables down a lot. They need to make Thunderbolt not require special cables with chips in them to help it work. Docks that provide a PCI-e slot cost more than motherboards with Thunderbolt.

External drives are ridiculously expensive and only begin to make sense with large hard disk RAIDs. However, someone in need of a large RAID is going to buy a dedicated RAID controller card. Negating the need for Thunderbolt.

If you are using modern high speed SSD's then something is wrong. As far as hard drives go this makes sense. Numerous small files kill transfer speeds. You'd get much faster rates transferring one large video file.

By the time the price would have come down to something comparable to a USB or eSATA drive, we'll be enjoying the new Thunderbolt 7 standard which will put the price back up to $890.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS