News Asus Launches New GeForce GT 730 Like It's 2014 All Over Again

nitts999

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
4 monitors and no/minimal fans will definitely have a market. I do screencast recordings and multimonitor and silence are both required. This card will fill a niche nicely, that niche just won't be gaming is all.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
It still might find its way into many gaming PCs as temporary fix for people who built a PC using an IGP-less CPU since there aren't many other options left under $200 unless buying used.

Not quite, instead it will be more for corporate sector where multiple monitors are required. Cards that can support 4 monitors aren't that common.

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
If these are cheap and in a low profile, it will be a fine upgrade for my HTPC that is only using an i5-3100 igpu. I'd be able to play some newer retro emulators with that card.

InvalidError

Titan
Not quite, instead it will be more for corporate sector where multiple monitors are required. Cards that can support 4 monitors aren't that common.
Almost any low-end card with DP1.4 can do four monitors despite having only three outputs, all you need is an MST hub. Those four-outs cards likely have an MST hub baked-in to split one of the DP outputs. Higher-end cards support 6-8 monitors despite having only four built-in outputs if you use MST hubs or monitors with DP pass-through.

nitts999

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
Almost any low-end card with DP1.4 can do four monitors despite having only three outputs, all you need is an MST hub. Those four-outs cards likely have an MST hub baked-in to split one of the DP outputs. Higher-end cards support 6-8 monitors despite having only four built-in outputs if you use MST hubs or monitors with DP pass-through.

I didn't know that--thanks for the tip. I just assumed you had to buy a card with the outputs you needed built in.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I picked up a passive pciex1 GT730 a few years back when W3 came out for a physx card. (but an update removed that funcionality from that game :(
The card has Nvidia HDMI 1.4b so it will do 4k60, but at 4:2:0 chroma color compression which is black/white at 4k and color at 1080p. It doesn't look that bad, is most apparent on desktop text and hard to notice in games and movies. Kepler DP1.2 does 4k60 at 4:4:4 just fine, but this card doesn't look like it has that.
You can also bios flash them to extend their range up to Kepler max of 1200-1250 and remove boost if you just want to play around (I flashed mine to 1020 base clock and that lets AB reach high as the card will go), but they are still comparable to a Skylake igpu. But they do remove graphics load from your cpu and give you access to Nvidia control panel so there is that. And the Zotac one I have stays in normal gpu temp range with it's passive cooler.

Good for display and igpu class games.

If ASUS could get their hands on GT1010 chips that supposedly "launched" in January, don't you think they would've used those instead? Essentially a cut-down GT1030

Nope, they are using GT730 because that is all they can get

Joseph_138

Distinguished
If ASUS could get their hands on GT1010 chips that supposedly "launched" in January, don't you think they would've used those instead? Essentially a cut-down GT1030

Nope, they are using GT730 because that is all they can get

But that one still draws 30W, and loses 1/3 the performance of a 1030. So what's really the point? Just go with a 1030. Nvidia is just trying to unload the defective 1030 chips they've been accumulating for several years, by releasing the 1010.